மட்டன் சால்னா | Madurai Mutton Salna sidedish for Parotta
Madurai Special Mutton Salna recipe an excellent sidedish for Parotta. A traditional Mutton Salna recipe that is so popular in madurai with rich flavours that makes it so perfect to serve with parota. Mutton pieces are cooked in onion and tomato based gravy with ground nuts(cashews, roasted gram dal) , coconut few spices to enhance the flavour. Lot of variations are there in making Salna but the basic ingredients are nuts, spices and coconut.
- Mutton 1kg
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder 1 tsp
- Curry leaves, coriander leaves
- Khus khus 1 tsp
- Roasted gram dal 1 tsp
- cashew 4-5
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Coconut 4-5 pieces
Onion Tomato paste
- 2 tsp oil
- Shallots 300g
- Ginger and garlic 100g
- Tomatoes 2
- Curry leaves
- Keep all ingredients ready
- Clean and wash mutton and cook in pressure cooker for 4 whistles along with turmeric, salt and little water
- Add all ingrdients given under coconut paste in a mixie jar and grind to fine mixture and then add little water and grind to smooth paste.
- Ground coconut paste is ready. Keep aside.
- In a earthern clay pot add 2 tsp oil
- Add shallots and saute well. Add ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes and saute till mushy
- Once done switch off. Transfer to a plate and cool down
- Add to a mixie jar and grind to smooth paste. Keep aside.
- In a clay pot add a tsp of oil. Add cumin/ fennel seeds saute.
- Add ground onion, tomato paste and saute in oil
- Add all masala powder given above. chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and required salt.
- Saute for 2-3 mins and add water for the salna
- Now add the cooked mutton pieces along with soup.
- Mix well cover and cook. Check whether mutton is cookked properly.
- Now add the ground tomato paste and mix well check for salna consistency and add water if required.
- Allow to boil for 2 mins after adding coconut paste.
- Switch off Garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves
- Serve hot with Parotta