Chepala Pulusu | Andhra style spicy and tangy Fish curry
Indian cuisine has several delicious and aromatic fish recipes. Each state and region has its own version. Chepala Pulusu or Andhra Fish Curry is a famous spicy and tangy fish curry recipe from Andhra Pradesh. Here we share a Chepala Pulusu recipe made with tamarind extracts and spices. It is full of flavour and the authentic goodness of Andhra cuisine.
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Fennel
- 1 tsp Pepper corns
- 300 g Shallots
- 2 Red chilly
- 2 tbsp Ginger and garlic
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
For making pulusu
- 3/4 kg Fish
- 5 tbsp Sesame oil
- 5 Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- curry leaves
- 2 Green chilly
- 5 tbsp Chilly Powder
- 1 lemon sized Tamarind extract pulp
- Required salt
- Add all ingredients given under masala paste. Add oil and then add cumin, fennel, pepper, red chilly, shallots and saute well. Later add 2 tsp coriander seeds or powder and then add grated coconuts and saute well. Cool down the mixture and grind to smooth paste. Marinate fish with salt, turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp chilly powder.
- Chepala Pulusu masala paste is ready
- In the same clay pot add 5 tbsp sesame oil. Wait till the oil gets heated.
- Add a tsp of fenugreek seeds, saute.
- add green chilly and curry leaves
- Add ground masala paste and saute in oil for 2 mins in low flame.
- add 5 tbsp red chilly powder and give a quick mix.
- Mix well and allow to cook in oil for 3-4 mins or till oil oozes out.
- Add tomato paste of 5 medium sized tomatoes. and mix well till binds well
- Add required salt for the pulusu
- Add tamarind juice of one big lemon sized tamarind.
- Add required water for the pulusu
- Check for salt and spice level adjust accordingly.
- Cover and cook till it comes to rolling boil and the oil oozes out
- once it started to rolling boil add the marinated fish pieces.
- Add the fish pieces one by one and make sure it has enough place to cook
- Keep in low flame and cook fish. In between use a kitchen cloth to hold the mud pot and jus swirl it to mix. Do not use laddle to mix. It will make fish mushy.
- Chepala pulusu - Andhra style fish curry is ready.
- Spicy and tangy Fish curry is ready to serve.