Yummy yam cutlet recipe
This a plain yam cutlet you can also include veg of your choice like peas, carrots, beans etc.
This is from my periamma’s kitchen, my mom’s elder sister named Lakshmi Devi. She was born in Chennai but went to Mumbai after her marriage and cook many variety dishes and also North Indian dishes. She is an expert in cooking and she serves food with lots of love. Love you periamma.
Once we are cooking yam for making fries during a function at home. This yam or karunai kizhangu got cooked too much and could not make fries. When we were wondering what to do next my periamma came and gave this idea to make yummy cutlet by dusting the outer with rice and sooji. Everyone liked it very much and all the cutlets got over. This is the story behind this recipe lol…
Yam cutlet | Karunai kizhangu cutlet recipe
- 1/4 Kg Yam/karunai kizhangu
- 1/2 Tbsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder / மல்லித்தூள்
- 1/3 Tsp Cumin Powder / சீரகத் தூள்
- 1/3 Tsp Ajwain / Omam
- 1/3 Tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் தூள்
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- Required Salt
- Raw rice flour
- Peel skin and chop yam roughly into cubes. Wash well and strain excess water.
- Add 1/2 tbsp chilly powder.
- Add 1 tsp coriander powder
- Add 1/3 tsp cumin powder
- Add 1/3 tsp omam / ajwain
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Add 1 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder
- Mix everything well
- Add 1/2 glass water
- And pressure cook for 2 whistles
- You can also cook in open vessel and then add the masala. Mash well by hands or a masher.
- Add 1-2 tsp rice flour to get the right consistency for making cutlets.
- Make balls and keep aside
- In a plate add 2 tsp rice flour
- Add 2 tsp sooji or as required mix well.
- Now make cutlet shapes out of the balls prepared and dust in the rice flour and sooji mixture. Place it in hot tawa.
- Cook both sides in low flame. Add oil to cook. Once it is cooked and crisp enough transfer to plate.
- Serve yam cutlet with tomato sauce. Serve hot.