Nellikai Pickle | Nelikkai urugai | Amla Pickle
நெல்லிக்காய் ஊறுகாய் செய்வது எப்படி ??Nelikkai or Indian gooseberry is rich in iron and vitamin c and its good for boosting our immunity. Amla pickle can be served with veg meals or chapathi, roti etc. I served this recipe in Onam Sadya menu and I would like to share the recipe with you all. There are many different variations in preparing this pickle. Some people cook amla and then make pickle and some fry the pieces of amla in oil and then add sesaoning items. But in this recipe am going to show you how to make spicy and tasty pickle without cooking. If we cook and make pickle chances are there it gets spoiled soon. unless you add a preservative to it. Pickle made by using this ways stays good without adding preservatives also. Please do try this recipe and post your comments.
- 10-12 Gooseberry/ amla/ Nellikai
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp salt or as required
- 1/2 tsp hing
- 5 tsp Red chilly powder
- 50 ml oil
- 1 tsp Vinegar (optional)
- Take 10-12 amla wash thoroughly in water and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Make sure there is no any wetness before making pickle.
- In a mixing bowl add the cut amla/nellikai. You can cut int pieces or make 4-5 slits in the amla. Make sure you make pickle along with the seeds. Making pickle along with seeds will not get spoil easily and also they are good for health.
- Lets make a masala powder, to a mixie jar add 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and 1 tsp mustard seeds and grind to fine powder. No need to roast them just add them raw and make fine powder.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder to the amla. Add 1/2 tsp hing to it. Add the prepared masala powder to it. Add 5 tsp red chilly powder along with it and give a quick mix. Add 1 tbsp salt and mix well. if you add rock salt make sure you leave it for some time so that the salt gets dissolved. After adding the oil the salt crystals may not dissolve properly. Or else add 2 tsp salt instead of rocksalt.
- Mix thoroughly and then add 50 ml of sesame oil. Add oil generously so that it doesnt get spoil soon. Mix again and taste for salt and spice adjust according to your taste. Transfer the contents to a glass jar, do not use plastic bottles.
- You can use this pickle after 2 days after amla gets absorbed all the masala. It tastes good day by day. it gets soaked in oil and masala stays good for long. try this method of making pickle. You can also store in fridge.