Inji Puli recipe in Tamil | Inji curry sweet sour and spicy Keralite curry | Onam Sadhya recipes
Inji Puli recipe in Tamil | Inji curry sweet sour and spicy Keralite curry | Onam Sadhya recipes #Onam #Onamsadhya #Sadhyarecipes #SadhyainTamil #keralafoods #keralcuisine #injipuliInjipuli is a dark brown sweet-sour and spicy Keralite curry made of ginger, tamarind, green chillies and jaggery. It is also a part of Tamil Nadu cuisine. It is also known as puli inji in some parts of Kerala, South India. It is served as part of the Sadhya, or virunthu by the Tamil community and Malayalam community. Pickle with right blend of sweet, salt, sour and spiceness.Inji Puli (Inji Curry / Puli Inji) is an important pickle being served in any Kerala feast. It has a perfect blend and balance of sweet, salt, hot and sour elements and is accomplished by a combination of ginger, green chili, tamarind and jaggery. It’s one of the important food item served during Onam Sadya. We love this as an accompaniment to curd rice. The combination of sweet from Jaggery and sourness from tamarind is amazing.
For masala powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp rice
For making inji puli
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1 cup chopped Ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped green chilly
- lemon sized tamarind
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 red chilly
- a pinch hing
- Wash and peel ginger and chop into fine pieces. Chop green chilly. Measure in a same cup to get 1 cup chopped ginger and 1/2 cup green chilly.
- Dry roast 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and 1 tsp rice till the rice puffs up and fenugreek turns brown color. Cool it and grind to fine powder.
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 mins. Soak jaggery in water for 10 mins, strain for impurities and boil to get thick syrup to add in the dish.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a clay pot add ginger and saute well in oil for few mins. Add green chilly and saute again. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt and mix well.
- Add prepared tamarind water, do not add more water while soaking. Cook till it thickens. Sprinkle some water if needed.
- Add jaggery syrup once it becomes thick. Allow to boil well, add prepared fenugreek and rice powder and mix well.
- Cook in low flame for 10-15 mins or till it becomes darker in color. Switch of and lets temper the inji puli.
- In a small tadka pan add 2 tsp coconut oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and once it splutters add curry leaves, red chilly and a pinch hing and add it to the prepared inji puli or inji curry.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.