In this post let us check out how to make a perfect Jackfruit payasam or kheer. This recipe is from Kerala cuisine and one can make this when jackfruit is available at home during the season. It is very healthy dessert specifically for kids. As they avoid eating fruits and some picky eaters specifically have a list of foods, even before tasting they avoid it. This kheer tastes absolutely delicious and flavorful so that they just wait for tasting it. And moreover we add lots of dry fruits here and its also good for health. Adding coconut milk gives nice taste to the payasam and its good for your tummy health. Please do try this recipe and post your comments.
பலாப்பழம் பாயாசம் | Jackfruit payasam recipe in Tamil | chakka payasam | palapazham payasam
- jackfruit 500g Ripe and sweet
- jaggery 250g powdered
- 4 tsp ghee
- 1/2 shell coconut for coconut milk
- cashews and raisins 1/4 tsp
- cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
- dry ginger powder 1/4 tsp
- Javarisi/ sago 2-3 tsp
- For making jackfruit payasam use a ripen and sweet jackfruit to get a nice taste. Grate or scrap coconut 1/2 shell for extracting coconut milk, reserve 2 tsp of small coconut pieces for garnishing after roasting in ghee. Dry roast cashews and raisins in ghee and keep aside. Deseed jackfruit and use only the flesh part.
- Let us soak sago for few mins and start cooking the sago/ javarisi with water. Cook till the pearls are transparent. Meanwhile make jaggery syrup to strain the impurities. While adding water to make jaggery syrup add less water otherwise the payasam will become runnier. Once the jaggery dissolves strain and keep aside.
- Extract coconut milk using mixie jar. Add 1 glass of water and grind and extract milk. We need a thick and thin coconut milk. So the first batch do not add more water, make a thick coconut milk strain and keep aside. In the same jar add water and grid again the coconuts strain for milk add water if required. This is thin coconut milk. Keep aside the first and second coconut milk.
- Now lets start making the payasam. In a pan add ghee add the chopped jackfruit and saute well. I have not grind the jackfruit in mixie it just changes the taste. Instead I have chopped the jackfruit and sauting in ghee this gives nice taste and flavor. After sauting for 2-3 mins in low flame add little water to cook.
- Wait till the jackfruit become mushy and cooked. Now at this time add the prepared syrup and mix well let it boil well. After it comes to boil add the thin milk, that is second batch of coconut milk and wait till it boils well.
- Later add the thick coconut milk/ first batch of coconut milk and keep in low flame. After adding the thick coconut milk do not boil it gets curdles, keep an eye on. Immediately add 1/4 tsp cardamom powder, 1/4 tsp dry ginger powder. Do not skip adding cardamom powder and dry ginger powder it gives nice taste and flavor. Add the roasted coconuts, cashews and raisins mix well and turn off immediately. Do not boil furthermore.
- Jackfruit payasam, chakka pradhaman is ready. This kheer can be served hot, warm or chilled. It tastes delicious. A recipe from kerala cuisine and it is served during Onam festival and during making Onam Sadya.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.