Spicy mutton kuzhambu without coconut. This Sunday my mom and dad came home I prepared mutton kuzhambu my mom’s favorite recipe of mine. She will not eat coconut so I have not added coconut in this mutton kuzhambu. This recipe is a mix of mutton kuzhambu or mutton kurma. As I have added fennel seeds, poppy seeds and kalpasi the black stone flower it gives the flavor of kurma and tastes like spicy mutton kuzhambu. Almost this combination came out very good and everyone enjoyed it with rice.
Share my recipe
The step by step photo of making this kuzhambu is captured for my viewers reference. In this kuzhambu I cooked mutton separately till it is almost 90% done and then added to kuzhambu. You can also prepare kuzhambu and then add mutton pieces and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. The masala paste is prepared with onion, fennel seeds , poppy seeds and kalpasi by sauting it well in oil and the grinding it to a fine paste. I have added equal amounts of onion and tomatoes. Try it out and comment me your suggestions and feedback.
Mutton kuzhambu | mutton kurma
- 1 Kg mutton
- 4 Onion / வெங்காயம்
- 5 Tomatoes / தக்காளி
- 1 Inch Ginger / இஞ்சி
- 10-12 Garlic cloves / பூண்டு பற்கள்
- 2 Tsp Fennel
- 2 Tsp Poppy seeds Khus khus
- 1 Black stone flower Kalpasi
- 2 Tbsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder / மல்லித்தூள்
- 2 Tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- 2 Tsp Pepper Powder
- 2 Tbsp Curd / தயிர்
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் தூள்
- Few Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- In a pan add 2 tsp sesame oil
- Add 4 onion roughly chopped
- Add 2 tsp fennel seeds and khus khus or poppy seeds
- Add few black stone flower/ kalpasi
- Saute till brown color. Cool down completely and grind to a fine paste
- Add water if needed the masala paste is ready now.
- Make ginger garlic paste of 1 inch ginger piece and 10-12 garlic cloves
- Add little water and grind smoothly.
- Cook 1 kg mutton by adding 1/2 glass water in a open vessel. Or pressure cook 4 whistles.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel add 2 tsp oil and add 1 chopped onion.
- Add few curry leaves. 1 cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Add ground masala paste and saute well then add ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add 4-5 finely chopped tomatoes.
- Saute well. Add 1 tsp salt so that tomatoes cook faster.
- Add 2 tbsp chilly powder
- Add 2 tsp coriander powder
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Add 2 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder
- Add 2 tsp pepper powder. Mix everything well.
- Add 2 tbsp curd. Mix till combine.
- Add cooked mutton pieces.
- Add leftover water from the masala paste
- Check for salt and spicy. Add pepper powder if needed.
- Allow to boil well till the mutton gets cooked.
- Mutton kuzhambu is ready now. Serve with hot rice, idly, dhosa or chapati.
- Serve hot for the excellent taste.