Manathakkali keerai poriyal for rice. The common English name for manathakkali Keerai is Black night shade. In Hindi it is called as Makoi. In southern India it is mainly used for cooking purpose. Manathakkali Keerai has lot of medicinal properties. It is rich in antioxidants, iron, vitamins and minerals. It is rich in calcium to build a strong body, enough phosphorous to aid the growth and development of brain nerves, and rich in vitamin C which helps to maintain immune system properly.
Share my recipe [ess_post]
Black night shade leaves, fruit and flowers are used for medicinal purposes. It is slightly sour in taste, if cooked with legume it taste better. It solves digestion related problem. It helps to control diabetes. It has diuretic property, when consumed helps kidney to function properly.
Black night shade softens the voice and give relief from throat pain, consuming it daily is highly useful for people who sings and who need to talk very often like teacher, sales person etc. It is mainly consumed to cure mouth ulcer. People who have mouth ulcer also have stomach ulcer. No matter how many times they brush their teeth, they will always have foul breathe. This is because of the ulcer in the stomach. Black night shade is meant to cure stomach ulcer.
It is available only in certain period of year. So during its season whenever is possible consume it atleast once in a week. It has anti-inflammatory property. Oil produced from this herb is used to cure inflammation. It’s berry is used in cooking mainly in dried form. In Tamil we say it as manathakkali vatrral. It is available in shop but making it in home is very simple. (Source : humanheed)
Manathakkali keerai poriyal
- Manathakkali keerai
- 1 Onion / வெங்காயம்
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds / கடுகு
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds powder
- 4-5 Red chilly / சிவப்பு மிளகாய்
- 4-5 Garlic cloves / பூண்டு பற்கள்
- 2-3 Tbsp Grated coconut
- Required salt.
- Clean and rinse leaves properly. Strain the excess water
- In a pan add 2 tsp oil
- Add cumin and mustard seeds
- Add onion and saute
- Add chopped red chilly and saute
- Add cleaned leaves
- Add chopped garlic and saute
- Do not add water the leaves gets cooked by itself
- Add salt now once the leaves are cooked so that the exact quantity of leaves are known to add salt.
- Add grated coconut and saute
- Manathakkali keerai poriyal is ready to serve
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.