Chettinad egg masala gravy with freshly ground masalas. Their recipes are prepared by freshly ground masalas and they are very spicy and tasty too. Chettinad cuisine is the cuisine of a community called the Nattukotai Chettiars, or Nagarathars as they call themselves, from the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu state in South India.Chettinad cuisine is perhaps the most renowned fare in the Tamil Nadu repertoire. It uses a variety of spices and the dishes are made with fresh ground masalas. Chettiars also use a variety of sun dried meats and salted vegetables, reflecting the dry environment of the region. Most of the dishes are eaten with rice and rice based accompaniments such as dosais, appams, idiyappams, adais and idlis.
Share my recipe
Chettinad cuisine offers a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Some of the popular vegetarian dishes include idiyappam, paniyaram, vellai paniyaram, karuppatti paniyaram, paal paniyaram, kuzhi paniyaram, kozhakattai, masala paniyaram, adikoozh, kandharappam, seeyam, masala seeyam, kavuni arisi and athirasam. In Chettinad food, major spices used include anasipoo (star aniseed), kalpasi (a lichen), puli (tamarind), milagai (chillies), sombu (fennel seed), pattai (cinnamon), lavangam (cloves), bay leaf, karu milagu (peppercorn), jeeragam (cumin seeds), and venthayam (fenugreek). (Source : Wikipedia).
The recipe has two parts firstly we prepare chettinad spicy masala powder for the gravy then we prepare gravy. In a pan Add 1 tbsp fennel seeds and dry roast. Add 1 tsp pepper corns. Add 4-5 red chilly and dry roast. Add spices cinnamon, cloves,star anise,black stone flower. Cool down transfer to a mixie jar and grind.Grind to a coarse mixture and keep aside. In the same pan add 2 tsp oil. And add boiled eggs 4 no’s cut lentgwise partially. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Saute egg well stir continuously. Keep aside.
In a earthern clay pot add 2-3 tsp oil. Further add 250 gms shallots saute till transparent and add curry leaves add salt.Add 2 green chilly. Add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste.Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.Further add 1 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder. Add ground chettinad masala powder. Add 4-5 finely chopped tomatoes. Saute well till tomatoes become mushy and oil leaves at the sides. Then add required water for gravy. And allow to boil till gravy becomes thick enough. Add sauted eggs in the gravy. Allow to boil well after adding egg. Chettinad egg gravy is ready to serve.
Chettinad egg masala
Chettinad Dry masala
- 1 Tbsp Fennel seeds / பெருஞ்சீரகம்
- 1 Tsp Pepper corns / மிளகு
- 4-5 Red chilly / சிவப்பு மிளகாய்
- Cinnamon, cloves, star anise, black stone flower
- 4 Boiled eggs
- 250 Gms Shallots / சிறிய வெங்காயம்
- 4-5 Tomatoes / தக்காளி
- 2 Green Chilly / பச்சை மிளகாய்
- 2 Tsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் தூள்
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- Few Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- Salt Required
- In a pan Add 1 tbsp fennel seeds and dry roast
- Add 1 tsp pepper corns
- Add 4-5 red chilly and dry roast.
- Add spices cinnamon, cloves,star anise,black stone flower.
- Cool down transfer to a mixie jar and grind.
- Grind to a coarse mixture.
- In the same pan add 2 tsp oil
- Add boiled eggs 4 no's cut lentgwise partially.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Saute egg well stir continuously. Keep aside.
- In a earthern clay pot add 2-3 tsp oil
- Add 250 gms shallots saute till transparent.
- Add curry leaves
- Add salt
- Add 2 green chilly
- Add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Add 1 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder
- Add ground chettinad masala powder
- Add 4-5 finely chopped tomatoes.
- Saute well till tomatoes become mushy and oil leaves at the sides.
- Then add required water for gravy. And allow to boil till gravy becomes thick enough.
- Add sauted eggs in the gravy
- Allow to boil well after adding egg.
- Chettinad egg gravy is ready to serve.