இடியாப்பம் குருமா – South Indian breakfast recipes – Tamil Nadu, Kerala & Srilanka
#idiyappam #SouthIndianbreakfast #breakfastrecipes #stringhoppers #ricenoodles
Kashmir to kanyakumari recipe #KK2
Other names : Sevai, Santhagai, Putu mayam, putu mayang, string hoppers
Idiyappam or rice noodles or string hoppers is a famous South Indian breakfast recipes. Its famous in the states of Tamil Nadu and kerala. Also it is prepared in some parts of Sri Lanka. The main ingredients being the rice for this recipe. An you need a idly pot or a idiyappam steamer and a idiyappam mould to prepare this recipe.
I served this idiyappam with mixed veg kurma. You can also serve this with some non veg sidedishes like aatu kaal paya (Lamb Leg gravy), chicken or mutton curry, egg masala. In some parts they have it with cardamom flavored coconut milk or with Jaggery syrup and grated coconut on top. You can also have this with coconut chutney. My mom used to serve it with sugar and grated coconut for breakfast. We will enjoy this recipe during our childhood days. We used to absolutely love it. It was so soft and literally melted in my mouth.
Check other breakfast recipes :
Madurai Special Parotta and Chicken Salna – South Indian famous breakfast recipes
Instant Rava / Sooji Idly
Chola poori and Channa masala – Chole Bhatura – North Indian famous
Idiyappam and Veg Kurma
For preparing Kurma
- 2 carrots chopped
- 10-12 beans cut into lenghty pieces
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 1 Nookal chopped
- 1/2 shell grated coconut
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- a small cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 2 finely chopped onion
- 5-6 garlic
- 5-6 cashews
- a tbsp roasted gram dal
- Fresh mint leaves
For preparing idiyappam
- 500 gms Raw rice flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- hot water as required
- Wash all the vegetables in water and then chop. 2 carrots chopped, 10-12 beans cut into lenghty pieces, 2 potatoes chopped, 1 Nookal chopped.
- 1/2 shell grated coconut, 1 tsp fennel and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, a small cinnamon, 2 cloves , 2 cardamom, 2 finely chopped onion, 5-6 garlic, 5-6 cashews and a tbsp roasted gram dal, Fresh mint leaves and vegetables of your choice.
- In a mixie jar add coconuts, cumin, fennel, garlic, roasted gram dal, cashews, Add spices cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. First grind well then add water.
- Grind to fine paste add water little by little, Add a green chilly and grind well again. Coconut paste is ready keep aside. Let us start cooking kurma.
- In a pressure cooker add 2 tsp of oil, For flavor adding a bay leaf, cloves and star anise. Saute well till nice aroma.
- Add a green chilly and saute well, Add finely chopped onion and fresh curry leaves. Saute till onions become transparent.
- Add salt and mix well, then add all the veggies saute for 2 mins in low flame.
- Adding all the vegetables You can also add vegetables of your choice like peas, cauliflower etc.
- Saute all the vegetables in oil for a while.
- Add 2 glass of water, add mint leaves allow to cook.
- After 2 mins add the ground coconut paste.
- Add more water if required and adjust consistency. Boil it for 2-3 mins and check for salt and adjust.
- Cover and cook for 2 whistles in medium flame.
- After pressure subsides transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
- For preparing idiyappam. I took Raw rice 500 gms home made. For preparing this rice flour wash and soak a cup of raw rice in water for 4 hours. After 4 hours drain excess water and dry it on a kitchen cloth. After 1/2 an hour grind it in a mixie jar or take to shop for preparing fine powder like flour. Sieve it well and roast in a pan for 2 mins in low flame.
- To the flour add required salt.
- A tsp of oil and add hot water little by little and mix well.
- Mix well using a laddle adding hot water make idiyappams soft.
- After some time when the mixture comes to room temperature, you can knead in your hands.
- The dough is ready now let us grease idly plates or if you have idiyappam plates you can use it.
- Grease oil in the plates, Add water in the idly pot and preheat before your making idiyappam.
- Let the water starts boiling meanwhile let us prepare making idiyappam.
- Am using a idiyappam mould with very thin holes, grease oil inside the mould.
- Take enough dough to keep inside the mould.
- Cover it and start pressing and prepare idiyappam on each hole, Add dough inside if it gets over.
- Arrange all the plates with idiyappam.
- Now the idiyappam plates are ready and water started boiling in the idly pot.
- Let us keep inside and cook in medium heat for 7-8 mins. After 8 mins open and check idiyappam. It has nicely cooked take out and keep for a while.
- Soft and perfectly cooked idiyappam is ready. Serve with veg kurma.