Karpooravalli also is known as Panikoorka, Doddapatre, and Indian Borage. It is a highly aromatic perennial herb with a lot of health benefits and medicinal uses and is mainly used for treating cough and cold. Karpooravalli can also be used to treat asthma, fever, aiding weight loss, treating grey hair and dandruff, and for promoting hair growth. It is also used in treating snake and scorpion bites.
The botanical name of karpooravalli is PlectranthusAmboinicus and it is found mainly in South Indian states. The leaves are aromatic and fleshy. It grows well in sunlight and also in partial shades. It is used in preparing certain pachadi, chutney, and rasams. It is also used as a substitute for oregano in cooking. You can make a decoction by using the leaves of karpooravali leaf and have it weekly once. You can also even make bajji with the leaf of karpooravalli.
The Traditional and Medicinal Uses of Karpooravalli
- One of the best home remedies for cough and cold is to drink karpooravalli rasam. It is also used to treat malaria fever.
- The presence of high amounts of carvacrol, and thymol, both excellent expectorants, helps in treating cold, sore throat, cough, and asthma.
- The anti-viral properties of Karpooravalli are effective against VSV, HSV1 and HIV.
- Grind the fresh leaves of karpooravalli with little water and consume it to treat all the respiratory problems.
- Applying the juice of karpooravalli on the forehead is a good remedy for treating headache. The leaf paste is also used to treat wounds, boils and for treating skin diseases. Karpooravalli improves collagen deposition, reduces epithelialization period, and increases wound contraction.
- Karpooravalli is used as an ingredient for making oil baths as it helps in preventing headache and cold especially in winter season. It is used for treating hair problems and for treating dandruff.
- Anti-fungal properties: The essential oil from Karpooravalli, karpooravalli leaf decoction and leaf extract has powerful anti-bacterial properties and is effective against bacterial strains like Salmonella Typhimurium, and Escherichia coli.
- It is used in the treatment of skin infections, mouth ulcers, hiccups, indigestion, and colic asthma.
- Inhale the vapor of boiling karpooravalli leaves to remove chest congestion. You can also apply the juice on the chest to get relief.
- It can be applied externally for treating centipede and scorpion bites. The juice can also be used as a natural mosquito repellent.
- The antifungal properties of karpooravalli are highly effective against fungus like Penicillium, Aspergillus Ochraceus, and Aspergillus Niger.
- It can also be used as an effective mouth wash. The high amounts of carvacrol present in karpooravalli leaves help in preventing dental problems and bacterial infection.
- Karpooravalli essential oil and karpooravalli inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells and is effective against lung cancer.
- Karpooravalli is extremely useful for diabetic patients as it helps in treating problems associated with diabetes apart from reducing high blood sugar levels. Patients with diabetic foot ulcers can see quick results as it helps in faster wound healing. People with diabetes can have weekly twice tea prepared with the leaves of karpporavalli.
- This herb is also used to treat digestive issues like diarrhea, indigestion, and dyspepsia. Karpooravalli has prebiotic properties, which helps in the growth of probiotic bacteria, essential for gut health.
- Karpooravalli is also helpful for people who are suffering from arthritis. It helps in reducing inflammation and pain without any side effects.
Karpooravalli is one of the ingredients in the manufacturing of Kaba sura kudineer, which is effective against fever, viral infections, cough and breathing difficulties. It also stimulates body immunity against pathogens. The best immunity booster drink to prevent us from any diseases.
Karpuravalli Medicinal Uses:
1. Antibacterial Properties:
2. Anti Fungal Properties:
3. Anti Viral Properties:
4. Treats Respiratory Problems:
In India, karpooravalli is widely used for treating respiratory problems like cough, asthma, cold and sore throat. Both the water decoction and fresh leaf extract is used and now even the essential oil is use. This is due to the presence of high amounts of thymol and carvacrol, they are both excellent expectorants.
5. Antioxidant Properties:
6. Wound healing Properties:
Karpooravalli has wonderful wound healing properties too. Traditionally the leaf is pounded into a paste and then applied as a poultice over the wound. Karpooravalli when applied externally for wound healing improves collagen deposition, increases wound contraction and also reduces epithelialization period!
7. Anti Inflammatory & Analgesic:
The reason keelanelli is so effective while taken during cold and flu is due to it’s anti inflammatory and analgesic properties. It helps reduce headache, body pain and also inflammation that is very common during cold and flu. If you are recovering from fever or cold, try drinking karpooravalli rasam or soup for a few days, it will greatly help…
8. Karpuravalli Uses For Oral Diseases:
9. Karpuravalli Uses For Skin & Hair:
Karpooravalli treats many skin and hair problems. It treats hair problems like dandruff and itchy scalp, for treating dandruff, mix the essential oil with a base oil and apply. Karpooravalli treats many skin problems including cuts, burns and allergies when applied as a poultice.
10. Treats Insect & Animal Bites:
Karpooravalli is applied externally for treating scorpion bites and centipede bites. The juice got by bruising the leaves when applied on the skin also acts as a natural mosquito repellent and the leaves can also can be carried if you are going camping to ward of mosquitoes.
11. Anti Malarial Properties:
Karpooravalli is not only effective against warding off mosquitoes when applied externally but also helps treat malaria fever which is a mosquito borne disease. The effect was dosage dependent and it varied from 75 % to 90 % depending on the dosage.
12. Anti Cancer Properties:
Both karpooravalli and karpooravalli essential oil have powerful anti cancer properties! Karpooravalli leaf extract has been proven to inhibit the growth breast cancer cells and the karpooravalli essential oil has been proven to be effective against lung cancer.
13. Karpuravalli Uses For Diabetic Patients:
14. Karpuravalli Uses For Digestive Problems:
15. Karpuravalli Uses For Arthritic Patients:
Karpuravalli Side Effects:
Karpooravalli has low toxicity and has been used in traditional medicine for a long time so it is considered very safe. But I would suggest consuming it in the dosage and duration mentioned. We don’t consume karpooravalli daily, we mainly use it as a medicine.
I found a study in which a lady developed skin allergy after regular long term use of karpooravalli leaf extract and once she stopped using it, the ulcer healed fast. But this incident is very very rare and I have never seen anyone reacting to karpooravalli like this.
Some useful information about karpooravalli leaf in Tamil