Chettinad style Naatu kozhi gravy
Spicy and taste Naatu kozhi gravy recipe which can be served with hot rice or with any tiffin items. This spicy country chicken gravy suits both rice variety and tiffin variety. Masalas in this dish are freshly made by dry roasting which gives nice taste to the gravy and its one of the specialty of the chettinad style dishes. Country chicken used in this gravy gives nice taste as it gets cooked with the bone. this gravy is suitable for one with cold. I served this gravy with steamed rice and rasam one of the best combo.
Chettinad style naatu kozhi gravy
For fresh masala
- 1 tsp Pepper corns
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 star anise, cinnamon sticks, 3 cloves
- few Curry leaves
- 2 red chilly
For making naatu Kozhi gravy
- 1 Kg Counry chicken / naatu kozhi
- 5 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 Cardamom
- 1 Bay leaves
- 150 g Shallots / chinna vengayam
- 1 red chilly / green chilly
- Curry leaves / corainder leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 Big tomatoes
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- Ground masala powder
- Required salt
- Clean and wash chicken thoroughly in water and add turmeric powder mix well and wash again. I took 1 kg of chicken
- For making chettinad style dishes people make freshly ground masalas to add rich flavor and delicious taste.
- Dry roast all the ingredients given under masala and cool down, grind to fine powder and keep aside
- Let start preparing the gravy. In a pan or kadai add 5 tbsp sesame oil. add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 3 cardamom pods and a bay leaf
- Add peeled and chopped shallots. Shallots gives nice taste to the gravy add curry leaves and a red chilly
- Add 1 tbsp full of ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off
- Add 2 big chopped tomatoes add required salt and cook till mushy
- Once done add the cleaned chicken and mix well. cover and cook till the chicken leaves water.
- Lets start adding masalas. add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp chilly powder and add the freshly ground masala powder and required salt and mix well.
- Note we have added pepper and red chilly while making masala powder. If u need more spice check and add pepper powder if required.
- Add required water and cover and cook till the chicken gets cooked. Country chicken takes some time to cook rather than the normal chicken.
- Moreover make sure of the amount of water you add. If you want a thick gravy add little water to cook the chicken alone.
- Cover and cook. Open and check in between. After almost 15 mins the chicken is cooked and the gravy is thick now. The oil oozes out of the gravy.
- Switch off and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or any tiffin items.
Check more chicken recipes
Chicken Hakka noodles with mixed vegetables – Indo-chinese noodles – Restaurant style
Naatu kozhi dhonnai briyani recipe in Tamil | Chicken Dhonne briyani | In pressure cooker
Garlic chicken roast recipe in Tamil – Chicken garlic gravy – side dish for Pulao, roti, naan
சோம்பேறி சிக்கன் | 10 mins instant chicken recipe | Lazy chicken recipe in Tamil
Hariyali Chicken | Green chicken recipe | North Indian Style Chicken Curry | Sidedish for roti, naan
Andhra Guntur chicken recipe in Tamil | Hot & Spicy Guntur chicken without onion – Best chicken