Chettinad naatu kozhi gravy is my hubbys preparation and I helped him out. It came out very well and I wish to share with you all. Let us quickly jump into the preparation.
First let us make chettinad masala powder. In a pan dry roast coriander seeds 3-4 tbsp. Further add 1 tbsp cumin , 1 tbsp fennel seeds, 1 tbsp pepper corns. Add 10-15 red chilly. Roast well till all the ingredients become dark. Switch off cool completely and add to a mixie jar. Grind to a fine powder in a mixie jar and keep aside.
Let us make shallots paste. In the same pan add 2-3 tbsp oil add 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick and 2 cloves saute well. Add almost 300 gms shallots. It gives you nice taste.Saute well till transparent. Cool down add to mixie jar and grind to a fine paste. Do not add water while grinding.
Furthermore we need ginger and garlic paste and along with that I have added coconut chunks. In the same pan add oil add coconut ginger and garlic. Fry well till brown. Transfer to a mixie jar. Grind finely and keep aside. Now all the masala items are ready.
In a heavy bottomed vessel add 3-5 tbsp oil. Add cleaned 1 kg country chicken. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and saute well in oil. Add required salt and mix well. Add ground chettinad masala powder. Add required as it contains red chilly and pepper you don’t want to add anything for spice. Give a quick stir.Add shallots paste. Add coconut ginger and garlic paste. Saute well till masala binds and then add curry leaves mix well. Add water to mixie jar jus rinse and add them to chicken. Add required water for your gravy thickness check for salt and spice. Close lid and allow to boil till the chicken gets cooked. Naatu kozhi takes some time to cook.Open check whether the chicken gets cooked.Add coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or dosa or idly or chapati.
The health benefits of chicken include its ability to provide a good supply of protein, essential vitamins, and minerals. It also aids in weight loss, regulating cholesterol and blood pressure, and reducing the risk of cancer.
Health Benefits Of Chicken
Being known all around the world for its protein content, chicken has a wide range of health benefits. Let’s discuss them below.
High Protein Content
Chicken is one of the best foods for protein. Protein plays an important role in our diet. It is made of amino acids, which are the building blocks of our muscles. Generally, the recommended amount of daily protein requirement is 1 gram per 1 kg of body weight or 0.4 g of protein per pound of body weight. For athletes, the daily requirement of protein is about 0.6 g to 0.9 g per pound.
Important Source of Vitamins & Minerals
Chicken is not only a good source of protein but is also very rich in vitamins and minerals. For example, B vitamins in it are useful in preventing cataracts and skin disorders, boosting immunity, eliminating weakness, regulating digestion, and improving the nervous system. They are also helpful in preventing migraine, heart disorders, gray hair, high cholesterol, and diabetes.
Vitamin D in chicken helps in calcium absorption and bone strengthening. Vitamin A helps in building eyesight and minerals such as iron are helpful in hemoglobin formation, muscle activity, and eliminating anemia. Potassium and sodium are electrolytes; phosphorus is helpful in tackling weakness, bone health, brain function, dental care, and metabolic issues.
Diets with high levels of protein have been known to be effective in reducing weight and chicken has been one of the main contenders in weight loss. Studies and trials have shown that significant weight control was observed in people who regularly ate chicken.
Control of Blood Pressure
Chicken consumption has been found to be useful in controlling blood pressure as well. This was observed in people with hypertension and in many African Americans, though the diet was also comprised of nuts, low-fat dietary products, vegetables, and fruits.
Reduced Cancer Risk
Studies have found that in non-vegetarians, a higher consumption of red meat, pork/ham increased the risk of colorectal cancer, while in chicken and fish eaters, the risk of developing this cancer in later life was reduced, although the evidence is not conclusive.
The amount of saturated fat and cholesterol found in red meat such as beef, pork, and lamb are much higher than the levels found in chicken, fish, and vegetables. Therefore, the American Heart Association has advised consuming chicken or fish instead of red meat for a lowered risk of cholesterol and subsequent heart disease development. The AHA also says that consuming chicken or fish must be limited to normal levels, as excessive consumption can also lead to the development of heart disease.
Treatment of Common Cold
Intake of warm chicken soup also provides relief from common cold, including symptoms like a congested nose and a sore throat.
Chettinad naatu kozhi gravy
Chettinad masala powder
- 3-4 Tbsp Coriander seeds / கொத்தமல்லி விதைகள்
- 1 Tbsp Cumin seeds / சீரகம்
- 1 Tbsp Fennel seeds / பெருஞ்சீரகம்
- 1 Tbsp Pepper corns / மிளகு
- 10-15 Red chilly / சிவப்பு மிளகாய்
- 300 Gms Shallots / சிறிய வெங்காயம்
- 1 Bay Leaves / பிரியாணி இலைகள்
- 1 Cinnamon stick / இலவங்கப்பட்டை
- 2 Cloves
Coconut ginger garlic paste
- 2-3 Tbsp Coconut / தேங்காய்
- 1 Inch Ginger piece
- 1 Full Garlic cloves / பூண்டு பற்கள்
- Required Sesame oil / எள் எண்ணெய்
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric poder
- Required Salt
- Few Curry leaves and coriander leaves
- In a pan dry roast coriander seeds 3-4 tbsp
- Add 1 tbsp cumin , 1 tbsp fennel seeds, 1 tbsp pepper corns
- Add 10-15 red chilly, Roast well till all the ingredients become dark.
- Switch off cool completely and add to a mixie jar.
- Grind to a fine powder in a mixie jar.
- In the same pan add 2-3 tbsp oil
- Add 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick and 2 cloves
- Add almost 300 gms shallots, Saute well till transparent.
- Cool down add to mixie jar and grind to a fine paste
- Do not add water while grinding.
- In the same pan add oil
- And add coconut ginger and garlic.Fry well till brown
- Transfer to a mixie jar
- Grind finely.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel
- Add 3-5 tbsp oil
- Add cleaned 1 kg country chicken, Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Saute well in oil
- Add required salt and mix well
- Add ground chettinad masala powder
- Add required as it contains red chilly and pepper you don't want to add anything for spice. Give a quick stir.
- Add shallots paste, Add coconut ginger and garlic paste
- Saute well till masala binds and then add curry leaves
- Mix well
- Add water to mixie jar jus rinse and add them to chicken
- Add required water for your gravy thickness check for salt and spice
- Close lid and allow to boil till the chicken gets cooked. Naatu kozhi takes some time to cook.
- Open check whether the chicken gets cooked.
- Add coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or dosa or idly or chapati.