Andhra style Paruppu podi is very famous across South India it’s a traditional food offered in a meals. It tastes authentic when served with hot rice and ghee. Whenever we feel bored of eating sambhar and kuzhambu we will prepare this Paruppu podi and have. This time I prepared this for my 2 and half years old daughter. I prepared this long back when she was 1 and 1/2 years old but at that time she didn’t even try it and blindly refused to eat. But this time I convinced her to have with her favorite ghee. She just loved to have it. The quantity I have measured is very less and it serves a month when given once or twice a week. When preparing it for your family add red chilly more to increase your spice.
You can introduce lentils between 8 months to 1 year. But cooked lentils with mashed vegetables will be good for the little one. As the lentils are rich in protein and fibre it is good for digestion. Paruppu podi or lentils powder can be given from 1 year but make sure your baby like it. Do not force them to have which they don’t like. Try to introduce new foods one by one. Enjoy the motherhood… Happy cooking !!!
Share my recipe
Benefits of lentils powder to your baby
Digestion: A half cup of lentils has almost eight grams of fiber. Eating fiber-rich foods will help clear your baby’s digestive system, deal with constipation and in regular bowel movement. It will also prevent weight gain issues in later years.
Energy: A half cup of lentils contain about 3.3mg of iron. By six months of age, the natural iron storage in your baby’s body could reduce and thus, you will have to add it to the diet. Iron-rich foods will help your baby stay active and energetic, besides aiding in brain development.
Immunity: Zinc present in lentils promotes healthy immune system.
Calcium promotes bone health.
Half cup lentils contain nearly 179 micrograms of folate. Folate is a kind of vitamin B that helps in the formation of new cells in your baby’s body.
Benefits from www.momjunction.com
Toddlers Lentils powder | Paruppu podi - Healthy weight gain
- 1 Tbsp Toor dal / துவரம் பருப்பு
- 1 Tbsp Gram dal
- 1 Tbsp Urad dal
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds / சீரகம்
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper corns / மிளகு
- Pinch Hing
- 1-2 Red chilly / சிவப்பு மிளகாய்
- 2 Garlic cloves / பூண்டு பற்கள்
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Keep all ingredients ready
- In a pan add 1 tsp ghee
- Add toor dal fry in low flame
- Add Urad dal and saute till light brown
- Do not burn them otherwise it tastes bad
- Add cumin seeds and pepper corns
- Add gram dal now as it is already roasted.
- Add red chilly as per your child's spice level.
- Add garlic cloves it's good for digestion. Saute for a minute
- Add a pinch asafoetida and switch off at once.
- Cool down completely. Grind in a mixie jar to a fine powder. If you want extra smooth fine powder sieve it and grind again.
- Transfer to a plate. Let the mixture dry for few mins. You can store in air tight container.
- When serving take rice to feed your child, preferably hot rice. Add 1/2 to 1 tsp ghee.
- Add required amount of lentils powder to the rice. Check for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Mix well and serve hot or warm. It tastes good when it is warm.
- Healthy lunch for your baby with Paruppu podi is ready to serve.
- Roasting all ingredients in ghee gives nice flavor to the parupp podi but it's optional you can also use little oil or dry roast everything
- Use chana dal instead of fried gram dal. If using chana dal, dry roast it until golden brown.
- Its less to medium spicy with the ingredients amount mentioned, adjust red chillies and garlic according to your childs preference.
- Make sure to roast the toor dal well but do not burn them.
- Store the lentils powder in a air tight container and keep at room temperature. It stays well for a month.
- But prepare it in lesser quantities so that it tastes fresh and good whenever you eat.
- Always check with your doctor before giving any new food to your child.
- Make sure to introduce everything separate to your baby before you try this lentils powder.