Pongal puli kuzhambu recipe. This puli kuzhambu is done on the pongal festival by adding mixed vegetables in it. You can add any number of vegetables of your choice. I have added drumstick, potatoes and field beans. This kuzhambu usually tastes good the next day of the preparation. All the vegetables added has it’s own benefits and tastes good. You can make this as kuzhambu by adding more water and also as thick gravy by adding less water.
In the busy weekdays instead of doing kuzhambu and side dish separately you can make this type of gravy or kuzhambu and you will get all the benefits of it in less oil. Or else when you make porriyal or any type fries you add more oil. Jus to avoid it add all the veggies in kuzhambu and enjoy the whole nutrition of it.
My husband and my MIL liked this kuzhambu very much and we started doing this type off all veggies kuzhambu more often nowadays.
You can have this for idly, dhosa, pongal and rice. It tastes delicious do try and comment me.
Share my recipe
Let us check some benefits of field beans
Field beans have a surprisingly large number of health benefits. Some of them include:
They are highly nutritious, supplying vital nutrients to your body.
They have a high content of Vitamin A, vitamin B and C. These help in making your body strong and healthy and protect against innumerable diseases, and make your bones and teeth stronger.
They improve your immune system and help you protect against many diseases including cancer, diabetes, heart diseases and fatigue.
It is highly beneficial for diabetic patients, as they help in making your blood sugar levels normal. It also gives you energy.
Field beans are very well known for lowering your cholesterol levels. It also has a high fiber content, which regulates your blood sugar levels, especially after a meal, and also helps in proper functioning of your digestive system.
Many researches have conclusively shown that consumption of field beans result in lowering of the risk of contracting heart attacks.
It is a rich source of iron, which is especially needed by menstruating woman, most of whom suffer from iron deficiencies. Iron is also responsible for building of hemoglobin, which is a vital component of blood.
Servings Size 311 gms
Calories from Fat 9
Total Fat 2%
Saturated Fat 1%
Vitamin A 12%
Vitamin C 66%
Pongal puli kuzhambu
- 2 Tsp Sesame oil / எள் எண்ணெய்
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek seeds / வெந்தய விதைகள்
- Few Curry leaves and coriander leaves
- 2 Chopped onions Chopped
- 4 Tomatoes / தக்காளி
- 2 Tbsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder / மல்லித்தூள்
- 2 Drumsticks Chopped
- 4 Potatoes / உருளைக்கிழங்கு
- 1 Cup Field beans Mochhai
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 2 Tsp Salt Or as required
- Add 2 tsp sesame oil in a earthern clay pot add 1 tsp fenugreek seeds.
- Add few curry leaves
- Add chopped onion and saute well. Add 1 tsp salt now.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Add 2 tbsp chilly powder
- Add 2 tsp coriander powder
- Saute everything well
- Add chopped drumsticks
- Add cubed potatoes
- Add fresh field beans
- Add required water adjust consistency as per the requirement.
- Add tamarind pulp from 1 lemon sized tamarind.
- Allow to boil well. Check salt and switch off.
- Pongal puli kuzhambu is ready now. Serve with hot rice.