Crab Curry / Nandu Kulambu / South Indian Crab Curry – Finger licking and tasty. This is a native style spicy gravy from Tamilnadu. I have prepared this kulambu in a very easy method as any one can prepare and enjoy. I have not added any ground masalas, no coconut, no tamarind but included the Indian spice powders to get the authentic taste of a chettinad style kuzhambu. Am damn sure that you will love the taste of the kulambu and the flavor. you can just prepare this nandu kulambu in a minimum of 30 mins.
#crab, #seafood, #foodie, #food, #crabmeat, #crabcurry,#crabkulambu,#crabkuzhambu,#spicycrabgravy
My hubby like this kulambu very much and me too loved the taste to the core. It really tastes good because of all the spice powders added and also the ground ginger and garlic paste. And also to get a nice kulambu or gravy you need to saute the onion and tomatoes well till it leaves oil. Sea foods usually tastes good when it is fresh so choose the crab accordingly and enjoy the kulambu.
Chettinad style Crab gravy
My mother-in-law style crab gravy
Nandu kulambu - crab curry
- 1 Kg Crab
- 2 -3 tbsp Sesame oil / எள் எண்ணெய்
- 100 - 150 gms peeled shallots
- 1 big chopped onion
- fresh curry leaves and coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Ginger and garlic peeled and crushed
- 5 Tomatoes / தக்காளி Chopped or pureed
- 2-3 tsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / மல்லித்தூள்
- 1 tbsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder / சீரகத் தூள்
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் தூள்
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- Required salt.
- In a earthern clay pot add 2 -3 tbsp sesame oil. sesame oil gives nice taste to this kulambu.
- Add 100 - 150 gms peeled shallots. Usually all kulambu tastes good when prepared with shallots.
- Add finely chopped 1 big onion, Saute well till onion turns nice brown color.
- Add required salt and mix well
- Add crushed ginger and garlic 2 tbsp. Adding more ginger and garlic gives nice taste but follow the given measure.
- Add fresh curry leaves along with onion.
- Add 5 tomatoes, 3 chopped and 2 in puree format. You can also puree all the tomatoes you will get a nice thick kulambu.
- Add 2-3 tsp chilly powder or as per required. I have used kashmiri red chilly powder.
- Add 2 tsp coriander powder and mix well
- Add a tbsp of fennel seeds powder.
- Add a tsp of cumin seeds powder.
- Add a tsp of turmeric powder. This removes any raw smell of crab
- Add 1 tsp of garam masala powder. Do not add much.
- Cleaned crab 1 kg and washed with turmeric powder and water
- Add the cleaned crab to the pot
- Saute well till masala is well combined
- Saute till crab leaves some water
- Add required water
- After about 10-12 mins of rolling boil switch off the stove
- Add coriander leaves and rest for 10 -12 min
- Crab kulambu is ready serve hot with rice.
- Chetinad taste kulambu without any ground masalas