Ada Pradhaman a wonderful and delicious King of Payasam. One of the important dish or dessert in the grand Onam Sadhya. No onam celebration is complete without Ada pradhaman. Ada Pradhaman in served in banana leaf along with kerala pappadam and banana. One will have ada pradhaman along with pappadam and banana. Eating Ada pradhaman from banana leaf tastes delicious.
To make this Ada pradhaman we need rice ada you can make it in home or else buy a store bought one. But homemade rice ada payasam tastes delicious than the store bought one. While buying store bought the preparation is easy just soak the ada in water for 10-15 mins and boil in water till its soft but not mushy because we need to cook along with jaggery and coconut milk so check accordingly.
When ada is home made I have given a stepwise instructions to follow. The preparation is little tedious but am damn sure it tastes heavenly. Rice ada is prepared using raw rice its soaked in water and then ground to powder and mixed with water and ada is made. Here is the picture of a homemade rice ada to inclue in Ada pradhaman. Ada is cooked in banana leaves which gives nice authentic taste to the payasam.
Ada Pradhaman | King of Payasam | Onam Sadhya special | Kerala style
For making Rice ada / ribbons
- Raw rice-250g soaked 4 hours
- ghee 1 tsp
- salt 1/4 tsp
- banana leaf 3 nos
For making Ada Pradhaman
- jaggery -500g
- coconut big size 1 nos take first thick milk and second thin milk
- green cardoman powder 1/2 tsp
- ghee 20g
- cashew 20g
- Black raisins 10g
- Green raisins 10g
For making rice ada
- Wash and soak raw rice in water for 4 hours. After 4 hours spread the rice in kitchen cloth and dry in fan for about 1/2 an hour. Once the rice or non sticky but little wet add to a mixie jar and grind tp fine powder. Sieve the rice powder and add it to a mxing bowl.
- Add 1 tsp ghee and salt to taste mix well and add water little by little to make a thick dosa batter consistency. We are going to use banana leaves for making this ada, its one of the traditional way and cooking the rice ada in banana leaves gives nice taste and flavor.
- now cut banana leaves and pour the batter in it and gently flatten it. Roll the banana leaves and tie it with a thread. Repeat making this and keep aside in a plate.
- Meanwhile preheat water in a idly pot and once it starts boiling add the tied banana leaves into the pot and cook for 7 to 8 mins.
- After 8 mins take away the banana leaves with ada and gently cut the thread you can see the cooked rice ada inside transfer to a plate.
- Collect all the prepared ada inside the bananal leaves and drop all the rice ada in water and transfer to plate. make sure to do it gently. Our homemade rice ada is ready.
For making payasam
- With a big coconut take thick milk 1 cup and thin milk 1 cup.
- Add the jaggery to a pan add little water and dissolve the jaggery strain and keep aside the jaggery water. No need single string consistency.
- Roast cashews, green raisins and black raisins in ghee and keep aside. you can also roast coconut pieces in ghee and add to the pradhaman.
- Now add the prepared rice ada in a pan, strain the syrup into it. Switch on the stove and cook till the syrup thickens. the rice ada absorbs the syrup.
- Later add the thin/ second coconut milk into it and cook till it changes color.
- Then add cardamom powder and roasted dry nuts and give a quick mix.
- When it boiling add the first / thick coconut milk and keep in low flame. after adding the thick coconut milk do not allow to boil more. when it starts boiling switch off.
- Homemade delicious Ada pradhaman is ready to serve. the homemade rice ada in banana leaves with the jaggery syrup, coconut milk and dry nut gives amazing taste. And its called the king of payasam. its one of the main recipe in the onam sadhya. A wonderful Kerala style Ada pradhaman is yummy.
- The color of the prathaman/ Pradhaman is light brown or dark brown mainly depends on the jaggery variety. When using paagu vellam you may get the dark brown color.
- The store bought ada is very tiny and cooks faster so take care not to mush it up.
- Homemade ada can be cooked in water or else steamed on the idly plate.
- The consistency of the payasam while switching off should be semi thick as it thickens later, you can add little boiled milk to make it payasam consistency while serving if you feel its thick.
- Cook well when you add thin or second milk but do not boil too much after adding thick or the first coconut milk
- Keep in low flame after adding thick coconut milk or else it gets curdled.
- Adding ghee fried coconut pieces will be even more rich.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.