Vadacurry I learnt this recipe from my mother in law and she is an expert in doing this vadacurry. She will do it with the exact taste every time she does it and also even the number of persons differ.
There are many variation in doing this some people will cook channa balls and add to the gravy and some may fry the balls and add it to the gravy. But the original hotel style vadacurry is this recipe. Though we add only one big onion and 1 big tomato the quantity of channa dal we added is the exact amount of gravy we get. And also once the channa balls are cooked you can easily make the gravy. Adding the spices is the one and only added advantage for a great flavorful vadacurry. I have added cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, star anise and Marathi moggu.
Each and every spices have their own smell and taste but everything combines together is the excellent flavor of vadacurry. You can enjoy this vadacurry with fluffy idly and crispy dosa.
Share my recipe
- 1 Cup Channa Dal
- 1 Big Onion / வெங்காயம்
- 1 Big tomato
- 5-6 garlic / பூண்டு
- 1 Inch Ginger / இஞ்சி
- 1 Tbsp Fennel seeds / பெருஞ்சீரகம்
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds / கடுகு
- 1 Tbsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் தூள்
- Bay Leaves / பிரியாணி இலைகள்
- Star anise
- Marathi moggu
- Few Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- Soak 1 cup channa dal in water for 2-3 hours.
- Add to a mixie jar without water and 1 tbsp fennel seeds.
- Grind to coarse mixture.
- Make small balls and cook in idly pot. It takes around 5-10 mins
- Grind to coarse mixture without water.
- Transfer to plate. Take cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves,star anise and Marathi moggu.
- Add 2 tsp oil in a pan. Along with 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Add grinded ginger garlic
- Add few curry leaves and 1 lengthwise chopped onion
- Add all the spices and saute well
- Saute till onion becomes transparent.
- Add 1 big finely chopped tomatoes.
- Check the channa balls are cooked.
- Crush them down and add it to the gravy.
- Add 1 tbsp chilly powder
- Add water and adjust thickness.
- Add 1 tsp salt
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Allow to boil till gravy thickens and raw smell leaves.
- Vadacurry is ready to serve.