Tender coconut payasam/ Kheer a cold dessert to enjoy the summer. Kids jus love to have it. As this Kheer is prepared with milk, coconut milk, tender coconut water, tender coconut pulp. Chose a tender coconut with tender pulp in it and also use a fresh one. We have also added freshly home made coconut milk. And condensed milk to give a thickness and flavor. Further more it is topped up with dry fruits like cashews, almonds and raisins. You can also add chironji seeds or Sara paruppu in Tamil. It gives a nice crunchy taste when you roast all the dry fruits in ghee.
Share my recipe
Coconut Milk, Water, Flesh, and Oil
Fresh coconuts can be either young or mature. Young coconuts either have a green shell or a white husk (where the green shell has been removed). These are typically Asian coconuts. There is also the more familiar brown-haired variety which is the more mature coconut. Young coconuts contain more water and soft, gel-like meat whereas mature coconuts have firm meat and less water.
Young coconuts are the most health enhancing of the two. The water in the young coconut is one of the highest sources of electrolytes. Electrolytes are responsible for keeping the body properly hydrated so the muscles and nerves can function appropriately. Therefore it is more beneficial to drink the water from a young coconut after an intense workout rather than the commercial sports drinks we see advertised.
Coconut water is also low in calories, carbohydrates, and sugars, and almost completely fat-free. In addition, it is high in ascorbic acid, B vitamins, and proteins. Furthermore, the soft meat, or flesh, inside the coconut helps to restore oxidative tissue damage and contains a source of healthy fats, proteins, and various vitamins and minerals.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Coconuts
- Supports immune system health: it is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite
- Provides a natural source of quick energy and enhances physical and athletic performance
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals
- Improves insulin secretion and symptoms associated with diabetes
- Helps protect the body from cancers due to insulin reduction, removal of free radicals that cause premature aging and degenerative disease
- Reduces risk of heart health and improves good cholesterol (HDL)
- Restores and supports thyroid function
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection
- Promotes weight loss
- Helps keep hair and skin healthy and youthful looking, prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, age spots, and provides sun protection