The diet which am sharing with you is tried and tested by me. Currently my second girl baby is one and half months old and am following this diet. Am exclusively breastfeeding my lil girl and she is satisfied and happy and she is soiling enough diapers and her weight gain is good. And also this is the diet which I have followed during my first delivery and I fed my first daughter for almost 2 and 1/2 year.
As a nursing mother, you probably have many questions running through your mind. You are concerned about your little one’s health and growth. One of the most important questions that nursing moms have is what to eat during the feeding months that will ensure a good supply of milk to satisfy your little one and to increase her weight gain. Whatever you eat during this period will also directly affect the amount of milk that is produced.
How To Increase Breast Milk Supply?
One of the best ways to increase milk supply is to keep on nursing your little one. Your baby suckling at your breast more often is better than any other method to help your body produce more milk.
The emptying of the milk signals your body to increase the milk production. The emptier your breasts are, the faster they produce milk. The fuller your breasts are, the slower they produce milk. Waiting longer between feedings, waiting for your breasts to fill up with more milk is the wrong approach, and will actually lead to your body producing less milk. So feed your baby often to stimulate more milk. If you feel your milk supply stills needs an improvement, then you should consider adding foods that promote milk production. Milk stimulating foods are called galactagogues.
There are certain foods that increase breast milk and enhance lactation. Breast milk contains all the prime nutrients required for an overall growth and brain development of a newborn baby. Here is a complete diet plan to increase breast milk supply. The foods in the diet help in not only increaseing breast milk production, but also keeps you healthy, after your pregnancy and delivery!
Breastfeeding mom's diet
Early morning 6 am
- Take medicine if any with warm water. For example I have thyroid and intake medicine on empty stomach.
- If no medicine drink plain water 2 glass or as much you can this cleans your system and you will get a bowel movement.
Morning 7 am
- Have a tsp of kurinchi kuzhambu legiyam or prasava legiyam. This legiyam is specially for new mom's to overcome postpartum complications like bleeding and back pain. It also boosts milk supply. You can get this in naatu marundhu kadai or any ayurvedic shop.
- Or have a glass of milk with wheat rusk or biscuits.
- Or else soak 10-15 almonds overnight and have it with warm milk. It is a good source of protein and omega 3 acids. Almonds boost milk supply with good fat content in milk.
- Or grind the soaked almond and make almond milk with cardamon and have it.
Breakfast 8 am
- Have 2-3 idly with sambhar chutney.
- Or oats idly. You can also try millets idly. oats has good fiber to tackle constipation and help your bowel functions back to normal. Oats also boost your milk supply.
- You can have ragi dosa. Ragi is good source of iron and calcium to boost milk supply.
- Have ragi adai with drumstick leaves. Spinach is rich in folic acid and iron and helps in maintaining healthy lactation and increases milk secretions. Drumstick leaves has high iron and calcium content.
- Have Ragi kanji now and then it boosts milk supply and provides you instant energy.
- You can also have poha upma with vegetables and chutney.
Morning 10 am
- You can have jeera water or fennel water. helps in digestion and lactation. Fennel and cumin are very good galactagogue which boost milk supply.Fennel seeds boost the quantity of your breast milk.
- Or you can have mixed vegetables soup.
Morning 11 am
- Raw or uncooked groundnuts. My mom tells raw groundnuts boost milk supply.
- Sweet corn 1 cup. Corn is rich is in Vitamin B12, folic acid and iron which helps in the production of red blood cells in the body.
- Or mixed veg salad.
Pre- lunch 12 pm
- Have a glass of fresh carrot juice. Carrot helps in lactation which provides all nutrition a mom needs. A glass of carrot juice with breakfast or lunch will work wonders in lactation.
- Or beetroot juice. Beetroot juice contains vitamins and minerals. But have it in moderation say 2 times per week or once a week.
- Have tender coconut water it reduces heat and it has many health benefits and keeps you hydrated.
Lunch 1 pm
- Have a roti and bowl of rice with dal or sambhar with 2 veg poriyal or kootu. Have at least one keerai poriyal daily. Spinach is rich in folic acid and iron and helps in maintaining healthy lactation and increases milk secretions.
- Keerai poriyal must include daily in your lunch.
- Beans carrot poriyal. Include any of the poriyal mentioned.
- Or have Beetroot poriyal. Include 2 veggies during lunch.
- Palak paneer good source of calcium and iron.
Post lunch 3 pm
- Wheat almond ladoo 2-3 nos. Helps in lactation. provides calcium and other essential nutrients required for brain development of baby.
- Or Dry fruits ladoo 2.
- Or sesame ladoo 2-3 rich in calcium. Black Sesame seeds are a rich source of calcium and believed to increase milk supply.
- Or dates with almonds 8-10. Good combination of iron and protein.
Evening 4 pm
- Have a spoon of this legiyam with warm milk
- Have rusk and biscuits
- Have urad dal porridge good for back pain. You can have this as a breakfast also.
Evening 6 pm
- Have cooked sweet potatoes. Sweet potato is a major source of potassium. It has energy producing carbohydrate which is needed to fight the fatigue.
- Have cooked tapiaco or maravalli kizhangu. Or peel skin and have raw one its good for milk supply.
- Have any sundal brown chickpeas or white chickpeas or green gram sundal.
Dinner 7 pm
- Have 2-3 dosa with sambhar chutney.
- Or poha upma with vegetables
- Or 1 roti with bowl of rice like u had for lunch. Avoid having keerai in the night. Have light vegetables like cucumber
After dinner 9 pm
- Have cumin or jeera water. helps in digestion and lactation.
- Glass of warm lemon juice.
Before bed 10 pm
- Have garlic milk. Garlic is considered the best food to increase breast milk, as it is well-known for boosting lactation in nursing mothers.
- Or almond milk or plain milk.
- During late night feedings if you feel hungry drink more water or have any groundnuts burfi, sesame burfi or any fruits or milk.