Spicy Fish fry – Catla fish or Kendai meen in Tamil. Going to fry the fish as a whole. Make sure you get a fresh fish in the market. You can check the freshness by seing the eyes. The eyes of the fish must be clear and not blur or cloudy. You can also touch and feel the fish flesh is hard and not soggy. Clean the fish properly and cut along the surface of the fish as we are going to marinate the fish and then fry. As it is whole big fish weighing around 3/4 kg approximately am showing the ingredients for that big fish. Frying whole fish and eating with family is quite interesting and fun.
Whole Fish fry/How to make restaurant style full fish fry – Whole fish have used is Catla fish cleaned and marinated with lot of spices like chilli powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, turmeric and ginger garlic chilly paste etc then can be deep fried or shallow fried. It can be served as a starter. You can also make it as a side dish for lunch with rice and fish kuzhambu or rasam. You can have this as a starter served with a lemon wedge and some onion slices. Or you can have this as side dish for rice. When you are on a diet like paleo or keto you can make a try to this whole fish fry recipes for your tummy.
Kendai meen Fry
Spicy Fry Fish Fry
Spicy Whole Fish Fry
- 1 big fish (kendai meen/ Katla) any fish you can take 3/4 Kg approx
- 1 tbsp of red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- required salt and 1/2 lime
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger piece,
- 1 tomato and a green chilly
- Took a whole fresh fish check the freshness of the fish. You can check the inside part is still fresh and reddish. Check the eyes of the fish too for freshness. The eyes must be clear not cloudy
- Clean fish properly, remove the inner parts and wash well with water.
- Check all the ingredients are ready.
- Grind ginger garlic and green chilly in a mixie jar.
- Add tomato to the mixie and make puree.
- Now let us marinate the fish by adding all the masalas, first add turmeric
- Add red chilly powder you can adjust spice accordingly. Add coriander powder, Add pepper powder.
- Add ginger garlic and chilly paste.
- Add tomato puree
- Add Salt and add lime juice and mix
- Mix well thoroughly by hands. Make sure the masala is all over the fish and on the cuts made on the fish. Marinate the fish in fridge for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins take the fish out add around 2 tbsp of corn flour on the top of marination.
- The wetness itself is enough no need to add water, spread well.
- Preheat oil in a big iron kadai.
- Place fish gently inside the kadai.
- Fry for around 2 mins per side.
- Turn the other side of the fish gently, Cook the head part of the fish properly.
- Once done take the fish from kadai and place on a grill to drain oil.
- Garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves on top.