Prawn gravy or prawn thokku. Learn how to cook prawns tastily and surprise your family. This recipe has become my hubby favorite recipe. It came out very well I did it in a traditional way. Not only using the clay pot but also used sesame oil and shallots which gives nice taste to the gravy. You can serve this thokku with hot rice or crispy dosa. It tastes yummy having this thokku the next day. The masala gets bind very well by reheating it. Do try and post your comments.
Share my recipe : [ess_post]
Check out the benefits of prawn.
Prawn is good for the heart – A person with a healthy heart is a happy person. It is a good thing that prawn can help you have a healthy heart. This is because prawn, like most seafood, is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids prevent the heart from suffering from various diseases as well as improve cardiovascular circulation.
Prawn helps build strong bones – Who could have guessed that calcium can be obtained from seafood? Calcium is needed by the body in order to improve bone structure. If you want strong bones as well as strong teeth, then you would need a lot of calcium. Calcium is also needed most especially by growing teens. It is a good thing that prawns can provide that.
Prawn is rich in vitamin B12 – Another good thing about prawns is that they are rich in vitamin B12. It is important for the body to get adequate amounts of vitamin B12. The slightest deficiency of this vitamin can lead to various problems including extreme fatigue, anemia, and even depression. Long term deficiencies have even been proven to result to brain damage.
Prawn helps build muscles – You need well-built muscles if you want to perform numerous physical tasks. And what the body needs to build muscles is protein. Prawns have adequate amounts of protein. The good thing about prawns being sources of protein is that they are low in carbs unlike other protein sources. There is 17.0 g worth of protein for every 100g of prawn.
Prawn helps prevent cancer – Most deaths in the world are caused by the Big C, cancer. That is why every person must be very particular about what he eats. It is important to eat foods that fight cancer. Well, prawn is one of those foods that help prevent cancer. It is rich in selenium, a content which prevent cancer cells from growing.
Prawn can help with youthfulness – It is important to stay as younger-looking as possible. You do not want to be mistaken for a person older than your age, do you? Well, vitamin E obtained from prawn can help you have better-looking skin. Skin that looks smooth and fair is a sign of beauty. Vitamin E has also been proven to prevent wrinkles.
Prawn helps fight Alzheimer’s disease – Alzheimer’s disease is one of those terrible diseases that the elderly are fighting today. Having someone in the family with Alzheimer’s disease is terrible. They are not really the same since they do not know you anymore. The fatty acids obtained from eating prawn can help delay Alzheimer’s disease from striking.
Source : da tandoor website
Prawn thokku | Prawn gravy
- 1/2 Kg Prawn / இறால்
- 25-30 Shallots / சிறிய வெங்காயம்
- 4 Tomatoes / தக்காளி
- 2 Tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 2 Tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1 Tbsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 1 Tsp Coriander powdee
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds / கடுகு
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds / சீரகம்
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Few Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- Few Coriander Leaves / கொத்துமல்லி தழை
- Clean and wash prawns and saute in a pan. It leaves water allow to cook once water evaporates or the prawns are cooked switch off.
- In a earthern clay pot add 2 tbsp sesame oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- Add few curry leaves
- Add peeled 20-25 shallots
- Add required salt
- Add 2 tbsp coarsely grinded ginger and garlic paste.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Add 2 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder
- Add 4 finely chopped tomatoes
- Add home made 1 tbsp chilly powder
- Add 1 tsp coriander powder. And saute well till tomatoes are cooked and oil leaves at the sides.
- Add cooked prawns it is almost cooked while sauting.
- Sprinkle some water and stir well.
- Once the gravy becomes thick garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Prawn thokku is ready.