Onion vadagam or thalipu vengaya vadagam a ready to use Indian seasoning or tempering content. Which stays good even above 6 months. Check the contents below its easy to make the drying process is little lengthy so people avoided using this wonderful easy to use onion vadagam. Those days a group of ladies either a neighbour or some relatives together prepare this vadagam in large quantity and divide among themselves to use it that year fully. That is the purpose they made it in balls, it is easy to divide. But if you are preparing it for yourself you no need to make balls dry it in loose form and store it in loose form. It is easy to maintain and store. Because a tsp of this onion vadagam is used at a time for tempering. It has such a great aroma and tastes good. Make sure you are not burning them.
Most of them add urad dal and channa dal along with this but i didnt use that because we will not add urad dal and channa dal in temperings for sambhar or karakuzhambu. But if you wish you can add those dals too but wash and clean them properly before use.
- 1/2 kg Shallots / சிறிய வெங்காயம் peeled
- 2 bulb garlic / பூண்டு peeled or semi peeled
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds / கடுகு
- 1 tsp Fenugreesk seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / சீரகம்
- 1 tsp Pepper corns / மிளகு
- 2 string Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள் தூள்
- 1 tsp Rock salt
- 4-5 tbsp Sesame oil / எள் எண்ணெய் castor oil / mustard oil can be used
- Keep all ingredients ready, peel shallots and garlic. Clean other dry ingredients like seeds so that it is free of dust and stone particles.
- Clean mustard seeds about 2 tsp
- Clean cumin seeds and pepper corns a tsp each
- Clean fenugreek seeds
- You can use garlic without peeling also it is good for health but wash and dry thoroughly
- About a tsp of turmeric and rock salt.
- Grind onion, garlic, curry leaves and few cumin and pepper corns.
- Just grind in pulse mode or chop half and grind half of the contents.
- Transfer to a plate add remaining cumin seeds and pepper corns. Add mustard seeds and mix well. Lastly add salt and turmeric.
- Mix well by hands and sun dry for 2 days covered with a kitchen towel.
- This is the second day pic. Mix well and dry.
- On the third day morning when the contents are still moist try shaping to balls. Moisture is need to form balls or else you cant shape it.
- After making balls sun dry again for 3-4 days and store it in container. A tsp of this content is useful for seasoning and tempering sambhar, kuzhambu etc.
- Onion vadagam is ready.