Home made garam masala powder to give the authentic aroma and taste to your dishes. Garam masala is been used in all the Asian cuisines in the dishes like all Biriyani varieties, Gravy varieties, Fried items, Stews, Broth etc. As we used to add whole spice in our food and later upon eating we are discarding the spices out of the plate. And also all the spices are costly we should not waste them. Instead of buying Garam masala powder from store, home made is the best.
Without any further delay prepare this Garam masala at your home and use. We may require a little quantity when used as a powder form. And also this saves our money too. And also not only these spices are aromatic to added in food recipes each of the ingredients has its own health benefits. If we use as a powder form it reaches our body through food but if we use as a whole spice we discard it from our plate.
Check health benefits of each spices
Homemade Garam masala
- 5-6 Bay Leaves / பிரியாணி இலைகள்
- 5-6 Cinnamon stick / இலவங்கப்பட்டை
- 15-20 Cloves
- 5-6 Star anise
- 1-2 Mace
- 20 Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds / கொத்தமல்லி விதைகள்
- 1 tbsp Fennel seeds / பெருஞ்சீரகம்
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds / சீரகம்
- 1 tbsp Pepper corns / மிளகு
- Keep all ingredients ready. There is not any perfect ratio for the ingredients to be added. Its just a rough estimate. Sun drying the ingredients the prior day is good.
- Bay leaves almost 5-6, Mace 1-2.
- Almost 2 tbsp of coriander seeds. This gives nice taste to the dish.
- 1 tbsp or less than that of pepper corns
- 1 tbsp of fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- Cardamon and cloves 20 each (approx)
- Star Anise 5
- Cinnamon around 5-6 medium pieces
- Dry roast everything in a pan. Keep stove in low flame as possible and just heat all the ingredients. Stir continuously no need to roast each ingredient separately.
- Cool down completely and Grind in a mixie jar to fine powder. Sieve the powder if required.
- Cool down for few mins and store in a air tight container.
- Home made garam masala powder is ready. This can be used in required quantities in Biriyani, Non-veg gravies, Veg gravies, Soups etc.