Idly podi is a flavorful condiment made up of fried up lentils and other spices like red chilly, curry leaves and garlic. This milagai podi has various names such as gun powder, idly karam podi, idly chutney podi etc. If you want the idly milgai podi to be more spicy add more red chilly than the specified quantity. This idly milagai podi goes well with idly, dosa, chapathi, poori etc. You can also add ghee in rice and add a tsp of this powder and have.
There are different variations in this powder some avoid adding sesame seeds and add coriander seeds and some of them use cumin seeds as well. And also some parts of Tamil Nadu and andhra adds jaggery, tamarind etc. And also adding up grated and dried up coconut also gives nice taste and flavor. You will also get a nice texture while adding up dried coconut. Just try in small batches and play with the flavors you love.
Idly milagai podi
- 12-15 Red chilly / சிவப்பு மிளகாய்
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- 5 tbsp Urad dal
- 2-3 tbsp Channa Dal
- few Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- 5 Garlic cloves / பூண்டு பற்கள்
- Pinch Hing
- 2 tsp Sesame oil / எள் எண்ணெய்
- Salt as required
- Keep all ingredients ready. We are going to roast it well to make idly podi.
- Firstly we add 1 tsp of white sesame seeds and dry roast till it turns to light brown.
- Once done transfer to a plate and let it cool down.
- Next let us add 12-15 red chilly and roast well till its crisp.
- Along with it add curry leaves and 4-5 garlic cloves.
- Do it in a low flame till curry leaves and red chilly is crisp.
- Once done transfer to a plate.
- Add urad and channa dal washed well in water and drained
- fry till it dry and then add 1-2 tsp of sesame oil
- fry till its golden brown
- Transfer to a plate and cool down completely.
- Once cooled down add to mixie jar
- Add hing
- Add 1-2 tsp salt or as required
- Grind to coarse powder.
- Transfer to a plate cool down a little and transfer to air tight container.
- Idly milagai podi is ready.