Village gulab jamun prepared with urad dal and jaggery a very tasty and healthy sweet. My mother-in-law usually do this with the leftover batter of medu vada. It was so awesome snack which is dipped in jaggery syrup with cardamon flavor. Usually kids like this very much and they can have as it is healthy too. Urad dal has many health benefits. Kids can also take urad dal in the form of ulundhu kanji a traditional south Indian dish which has numerous health benefits.
Share my recipe [ess_post]
Black lentil as source of protein
Vigna mungo is an excellent source of protein that is needed for building strong muscles and bones and in maintaining overall health. For people who do not eat meat, black gram is an excellent protein source as it delivers the recommended levels of protein.
Urad dal is good for your digestive system
Black gram is a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fibers that helps in improving digestion and also in increasing the bulk of your stool, thus enabling its easy removal from your body. It regularizes the bowel movements and hence is recommended for people suffering from digestive disorders like constipation, irritable bowel syndrome and piles.
Home remedy for digestive disorders – A decoction obtained by boiling black gram in water is effective in treating indigestion and other digestive disorders like diarrhea, dysentery and dyspepsia.
Black gram increases immunity
While being used as popular lentil, its use has been common in traditional Ayurveda where it has been used to treat various diseases. It is traditionally believed to be food which increases immunity. In a lab study with black gram extract, researchers were able to observe its ability to stimulate immunity in rat.
Home remedy for pain and inflammation of the joints – A decoction obtained by boiling black gram with rock salt and sesame oil, when applied to the affected areas is found to be beneficial in reducing pain and inflammation. This is particularly helpful for people suffering from joint pain and arthritis.
Vigna mungo and male reproductive health
According to Ayurvedic medicine, Vigna mungo has aphrodisiac properties and helps in increasing the count and motility of sperms. It is also found to be good for treating premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. This is traditional home remedy for increasing the sperm count in males – Heat some ghee (Clarified butter) and fry black gram in it, until it changes to light brown color. Let it cool and then blend the fried lentil to a fine powder. Consuming two teaspoons of this powder along with cardamom powder and sugar or honey twice a day may help in increasing the sperm count and motility in males. It is also useful in treating erectile dysfunction and improving sexual potency.
Village gulab jamun
- 300 Gms Urad dal
- 4 Tsp Raw rice
- 300 Gms Jaggery
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Sugar / சர்க்கரை
- 1/2 Tsp Cadamon powder
- Soak 300 gms urad dal in water over night along with 4 tsp of raw rice.
- First add rice to mixie jar and grind to fine paste.
- Make sure the paste is smooth
- Add soaked urad dal in batches and grind along with
- Add little water if needed. It should thick consistency.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt or a pinch this is for taste.
- Add 2 tsp sugar. I have added palm sugar.
- In a vessel add 200 -300 gms jaggery
- Add 1 glass water and allow to boil well.
- Once the jaggery is completely dissolved strain for impurities and boil again till thick.
- In a kadai
- Pour oil to fry urad balls. Boil well and change the flame to low or medium.
- Add small balls to the oil and cook
- Turn sides do not burn them
- Once the urad balls are cooked keep aside.
- The balls are brown color now.
- Once the balls comes to room temperature drop it in hot jaggery syrup.
- Add 1/2 tsp cardamon powder. And switch off.
- Mix well till all the balls are merged in the syrup.
- Once done serve warm. A healthy and tasty snack is ready.
- I named it village gulab jamun.