Fried fish curry South Indian cuisine
வறுத்த மீன் குழம்பு | Varutha meen Kuzhambu recipe in Tamil | Fried fish curry South Indian cuisine. In this recipe we are going to fry the fish before adding to the kuzhambu. Marinating the fish before frying and the fried fish in the kuzhambu gives nice taste and also the fish aborbs all the flavor and taste. Usually my mom drop the leftover fish fry in the fish kuzhambu and serves the next day. It taste very yummy and so came the recipe of varutha meen kuzhambu. You no need to deep fry the fish, just fry in a tawa or pot thats enough. In this recipe I have not ground the onion or tomatoes, I have grated the onion which gives nice taste and also thickness to the kuzhambu. Please do try and post your comments.
For marinating the fish
- Fish 6 pieces
- 1/4 th tsp turmeric powder
- Add required salt
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
For Fish kuzhambu
- 3-4 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- fresh curry leaves
- 10 chopped shallots
- grated 2 onions
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- tamarind water from 1 small lemon sized
- 2 glass of water
- Clean and wash the fish thoroughly in water. Apply turmeric and rock salt and wash again in plan water. Lets marinate the fish with turmeric, salt and chilly powder. check measurements given above. Marinate for 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile peel and chop shallots, grate onion and chop tomatoes.
- In a clay pot or tawa add oil to fry the fish. fry for 2 mins one side and flip over the other side and fry for another 2 mins and transfer to a plate.
- Use the same oil used for fish fry while making the kuzhambu. Add 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds and curry leaves saute well.
- Add chopped shallots and onion saute well. Add 1/2 tsp ginger and garlic paste. Add 2 tsp coriander powder, 2 tsp chilly powder. Add 1 tsp kashmiri chilly powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder.
- Mix everything well. Add 4 chopped tomatoes and saute till mushy. Once tomatoes are mushy add tamarind water and allow to boil till the oil oozes out.
- When oil gets seperated around the side Now add the fried fish and switch off the stove. Already the fish is fried it absorbs the kuzhambu well. Rest it for 1/2 an hour and then serve.