Today I prepared bottle gourd biriyani in Tamil it is suraikai. Most of you do not like this vegetable and don’t know how to cook to make our kids and family member to eat. I prepared this recipe with other vegetables like carrot and cauliflower which I had at home. You can also use vegetables of your choice. The bottle gourd is a water vegetable and it leaves more water while cooking. So while adding water for the rice to cook reduce 1 glass to compensate. You can also make sambhar and poriyal with this bottle gourd.
Share my recipe [ess_post]
Ayurvedic health benefits of bottle gourd/lau/ lauki:
Ayurveda recommends cooked lauki or bottle gourd for better digestion. It is cooling, calming, diuretic and anti-bilious (reduces bile and stops indigestion). The B vitamins assist in increasing the body’s metabolic rate to better digest fats, proteins, sugar and carbohydrate.
Like cranberries, bottle gourd or lauki supports the kidneys and the urinary system of our body by reducing burning sensation from high acidic urination. It also reduces the chances of urinary infection because it is alkalizing and has a diuretic effect. Consume if you have high creatine and uric acid.
A nutritious vegetable for the female reproductive system.
It is extremely popular for weight loss. Especially the bottle gourd or lauki juice when taken at noon.
Bottle gourd is extremely popular for reducing high blood pressure and bad cholesterol in some people. However when taking cardiac medications or when the cardiac condition is severe do NOT take lauki as it can create more pressure on the cardiac muscles.
Lauki or bottle gourd is known to combat excessive thirst in diabetic patients. However do not take if lauki is too bitter or with other bitter herbs.
The fiber and the minerals in the bottle gourd or lauki supports healthy digestion and combats flatulence (by killing intestinal parasites), constipation, colic pain and ulcer.
In Ayurveda it is also know to prevent premature greying and improve hair growth. It will NOT change the grey hair to black but will stop more greying as it contain B vitamins and has a cooling effect on the scalp. Grate and apply with yogurt or apply cider vinegar. You can mix my Healthy Hair Mask in yogurt and add lauki in it.
The Vitamin C and Zinc in lauki prevent pre mature aging and wrinkles as well. Lauki juice can be applied externally for skin care uses such as pimple, acne, dark circle, puffy eyes etc.
Bottle gourd is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for reducing liver inflammation.
Suraikkai biriyani for kids | bottle gourd veg biriyani
- 1 Bottle gourd
- 2 Onion / வெங்காயம்
- 3-4 Tomatoes / தக்காளி
- 1 Carrot
- 1/4 Cauliflower
- 3 Glass Basmati Rice / பாசுமதி அரிசி
- 5 Glass Water
- 2 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste / இஞ்சி பூண்டு பேஸ்ட்
- 2 Tbsp Curd / தயிர்
- 2 Tbsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder / மல்லித்தூள்
- 2 Tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- Bay Leaves / பிரியாணி இலைகள்
- Cardamon / ஏலக்காய்
- Few Coriander Leaves / கொத்துமல்லி தழை
- Required Salt
- In cooker add 2-3 tbsp oil
- Add chopped 2 onion
- Saute well
- Add bay leaves
- Add cloves
- Add mace
- Add cinnamon
- Add star anise
- Add cardamon
- Add ginger garlic paste
- Add bottle gourd 1 fully finely chopped.
- Bottle gourd leaves water so saute well
- Add carrots you can add vegetables of your choice.
- Add cauliflower saute for few mins
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add 2 tbsp chilly powder
- Add 2 tsp coriander powder
- Add 2 tsp kashmiri chilly powder
- Add 2 tbsp curd
- Add required salt
- Add soaked 3 glass basmati rice
- Add 5 glass water. For 1 glass rice 2 glass water so totally 6 glass water. I reduced 1 glass because bottle gourd leaves more water and also tomatoes.
- Mix well.
- Check for salt spiciness
- Add fresh coriander leaves
- Allow to boil well.
- Close cooker and pressure cook for 1 whistle in medium flame.
- Open and serve with raita.