Hello friends am happy to share with you one of the best breakfast recipe from the Kerala cuisine. Am damn sure that everyone of us just love to have this combination of recipe that is Arisi puttu and Kadala curry. A very authentic and tasty recipe from the Kerala cuisine. And I have shared you the tips and tricks to bring out the best of this recipe. I have shared many puttu recipes in my Youtube channel you can check it out in this link https://www.youtube.com/c/cookingmypassionrecipes
Today the lets check how to make soft arisi puttu or rice flour puttu. The only secret for making a soft puttu is that you need to take some time while preparing the puttu flour. Just sprinkle water little by little and give a slow mix, break the lumps again sprinkle water and repeat the process for atleast 5-10 mins to get a soft puttu. And also give a resting time of half an hour to get a soft puttu. So that the wetness is absorbed by the flour and gives you a soft puttu when cooked.
Coming to the kadala curry a masala paste is prepared by sauting the ingredients in oil. And also using coconut oil gives a nice taste to this recipe. Brown chickpeas is soaked overnight and cooked with water seperately and added along with the cooked water to the curry. This is very healthy and also gives nice taste to the kadala curry. And also adding the masala paste gives nice taste and flavor to the kadala curry.
Kerala style soft Arisi Puttu with Spicy Kadala curry
- 200g brown chickpeas
- 250g Rice flour
For making masala paste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- kalpasi / black stone flower
- 1 cardamom
- 3 cloves
- a small cinnamon stick
- 5-6 peeled garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 15-20 peeled and chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp grated coconuts
- 1 and 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp coriander powder
For making kadala curry
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 1 glass of water
- required salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- few curry leaves
- 1 cut green chilly
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder
For making kuzha puttu
- 5-6 tbsp grated coconuts
- Prepared rice puttu flour
- Take 200g brown chickpeas wash and soaked over night. Add enough water with salt and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Lets make a masala paste for kadala curry. Add 1 tsp oil in a pan, Add 1 tsp fennel seeds, kalpasi / black stone flower,1 cardamom, 3 cloves, a small cinnamon stick, 5-6 peeled garlic, 1/2 inch ginger roughly chopped.
- Add 15-20 peeled and chopped shallots, Add 2 tbsp grated coconuts / chopped. Saute everything in low flame and add 1 big tomato roughly chopped along with curry leaves. Add 1 and 1/2 tsp red chilly powder, Add 1 and 1/2 tsp coriander powder. Saute the masala in oil for 2 mins and switch off. Cool down completely and grind to paste.
- Add 250g rice flour to a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 tsp salt and mix well. Sprinkle water little by little and mix and make the flour wet. Repeat adding water till you hold a shape with the flour. Break the lumps gently. Stop when the flour is wet enough. Take enough time to make this so that you get soft puttu. Cover with a plate and give a resting time of half an hour.
- In a clay pot add 2 tsp sesame oil, 2 tsp coconut oil. Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Add few curry leaves. Add prepared masala paste, saute for a min. Add cooked chickpeas along with water. Add enough water and required salt. Allow to boil.
- For tempering use 2 tsp coconut oil, add few curry leaves , 1 cut green chilly, 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder. Adding chilly powder in oil gives nice color to the kadala cury. Add it to the curry prepared.
- Now the puttu mixture is soaked well. Mix well and lets make layers in the puttu maker. Add 2 tsp grated coconuts, add 3-4 tsp puttu flour again add 2 tsp coconuts and rice flour repeat. Finally add coconuts and cover with a lid. Add water in the puttu make and allow to boil.
- After boiling place the kuzha puttu on top. Allow to cook for 7-8 mins or till the steam comes out. Once the steam starts coming out switch off in 2 mins and serve hot.
- Serve in a traditionaly way on the banana leaf. Soft arisi puttu with spicy kadal curry is ready to serve. This kadala curry goes well with idly, dosa, chapathi, rice etc.