Barbeque Nation Style Cajun Potatoes Recipe
Potato-based dishes are ultra-popular all over the world and are served as a snack, or starters just before the main meal. This dish is served as a signature starter dish in one of the popular buffet restaurant named Barbeque Nation. This dish is mainly prepared with baby potatoes. The potatoes are dipped in a batter and fried to crisp and golden brown. The mixture of mayo, chilli sauce and other spices makes it lip-smacking.
- 15 baby potatoes
For the batter
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp fried onions
- Salt as required
For Cajun sauce
- 1 cup garlic mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp spicy tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp red chilly flakes with dried curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 30 ml milk
- salt to taste
- Onion finely chopped
- red chilly powder
- chilli flakes
- mixed herbs
- coriander/mint leaves
- I took approximately 15 baby potatoes. Clean with plain water thoroughly. Soak in water for few minutes and wash the potatoes.
- In a pressure cooker add potatoes along with water and required salt and cook for 2 whistles. After its cooked gently press the potatoes do not break them. Now lets make a batter to coat and fry the potatoes.
- In a bowl add 1 tbsp corn flour, 1 tbsp rice flour. Add 1/4 tsp of red chilly powder. Add required salt. Add water and make a thick flowing batter.
- Dip the cooked potatoes in the prepared batter and shallow fry. Add enough oil to fry the potatoes in a pan and shallow fry. Keep in medium flame and fry. Turn sides and fry till golden and crisp. Fried baby potatoes are ready. You can eat this as it is...
- Remove from pan and transfer to a plate with tissue or kitchen cloth. Drain excess oil.
- Next let us prepare a mayo sauce. In a mixing bowl and 1 cup garlic mayonnaise. This is homemade if you are using plain mayo add 1/2 tsp of garlic powder(must). Add 1-2 tsp tomato sauce (spicy). Home made chilly flakes with dried curry leaves. Add 1/4 tsp of pepper powder. Add 10-15 ml milk to slightly dilute the sauce. Add required salt. If you have mixed herbs add it. I dont have so I have skipped it. Mayo sauce is ready lets serve.
- Place the fried baby potatoes on a plate. Add the prepared mayo sauce generously. Sprinkle red chilly powder. Add red chilly flakes and dried curry leaves. Add finely chopped onion. Garnish with mint leaves. A lip-smacking cajun potatoes is ready to serve.
- Always fry the potatoes in batches. The potatoes should be crisp and golden color.
- Don't make a too thick batter and coating, the coating should be mild on the potatoes.
- If you have onion powder you can add it in the mayo sauce, I didnt have so added raw onion while serving.
- Garlic powder is must in this recipe so don't skip it. I don't have garlic powder so while preparing mayonnaice added 5-6 garlic pods to get nice flavor
- Adjust all the spice powders according to your taste and preferences.