Home made tutti fruitti usually tutti fruitti is prepared with raw papaya and this sweet confectionery or candied papaya is used in various sweets and desserts. Mainly as a top-up for icecream falooda etc and also used in cakes and bakes. This tutti frutti is prepared with watermelon rind. Watermelon rind has numerous health benefits from curing urinary tract infection to curing kidney problems. Watermelon rind is edible part and can be used in preparing curries and poriyal.
I have seen many cooking videos and blogs preparing tutti frutti with raw papaya. But I have tried this Tutti frutti recipe with Watermelon rind and it tastes exactly like tutti frutti bought from a bakery.
Check watermelon halwa recipe
Check watermelon rind halwa recipe
Tutti frutti - watermelon rind
- Am going to use the white edible part of watermelon to make this tutti frutti.
- Remove the fruit part and the skin.
- After removing the fruit part, peel of the skin gently.
- Cut the rind into thin slices.
- Chop them into small pieces.
- Now the chopped watermelon rind is ready.
- We are going to boil this in water. Preheat water to boil.
- Add the chopped rind.
- Cook till it's cooked 3/4 th.
- Check in between whether the rind is cooked.
- Now strain the excess water and keep aside.
- Meanwhile make sugar syrup.
- Add a cup or 100-150g sugar
- Add 2 cups water and make sugar syrup. boil till 1/2 string consistency.
- As we are going to add cooked rinds and boil again the syrup will become more thick.
- So 1/2 string consistency is more than good.
- Add cooked rinds and mix well.
- As the rinds are 3/4 th cooked it gets firm in the syrup and it wonts turn mushy.
- Add 1/2 tsp vannila essence. Boil till the sugar syrup is sticky or in one string consistency.
- Mix well and switch off in 5 mins. Cool down completely.
- As am going to add 3 colors and Coco powder divided into 4 cups.
- Make sure it is immersed in syrup and soak well for 4-5 hours.
- Add colors of your choice and leave it for 5 hours or overnight.
- After soaking strain syrup and leave it to dry in shade over kitchen towel.
- Once dried up transfer to air tight container.
- This tutti frutti can be used as a top up for icecream, falooda and cakes.