MEEN POLLICHATHU – FISH COOKED IN BANANA LEAVES – Authentic Kerala cuisine
Meen Pollichathu – Kerala style Meen Pollichathu cooked in coconut oil covered with banana leaves – vazhayila. Traditionally done with karimeen – pearl spot fish but I took a big para fish. When the fish is cooked in banana leaf the flavor penetrates well into the fish and the aroma of banana leaf is divine. This is one of the very classic preparation that everyone loves it. Many people do not fry the fish and do pollichathu But we in this recipe shown how to fry the fish and then make a gravy and apply all over the fish and then wrap in the banana leaves and fry again in coconut oil. Even though the process is lengthy but the out come is very very delicious. Everyone of the fish lovers must try this recipe.
Served the meen pollichathu with slice of onions, tomatoes and some wedges of lemon. You can serve this meen pollichathu with steamed rice and rasam it would taste heavenly. The most important step here is the marination, atleast for 1/2 – 1 hour you must marinate so that the masalas get deep inside the big fish and make sure you make cuts in the fish. While marination I have used lemon juice, chilly powder, turmeric powder, coconut oil and salt.
Please do watch video in Tamil with clear explanantion
Chettinad kara podi meen kuzhambu
Meen pollichathu - kerala style
- 2 tsp Lemon juice / எலுமிச்சை சாறு
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp 1 tsp turmeric powder
- required Salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil
For masala paste
- 100 g Shallots / சிறிய வெங்காயம்
- 10-12 peeled Garlic cloves / பூண்டு பற்கள்
- 2 Tomatoes / தக்காளி
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / சீரகம்
- few Curry Leaves / கறிவேப்பிலை
- 10-12 chopped Shallots / சிறிய வெங்காயம்
- masala paste
- 1 tsp Chilly Powder / மிளகாய் தூள்
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / மல்லித்தூள்
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- required Salt
- Fish I took para fish
- banana leaves
- I tool para meen to make this pollichathu. In a bowl add juice of one lemon.
- Add 1 tbsp red chilly powder, 1/4 th tsp turmeric and required salt
- You can also add coriander powder.
- Add 2 tsp of coconut oil. coconut oil makes the masala to bind well and gives nice flavor and taste
- Mix well without any lumps
- Add little water and make thick paste. The masala paste for marination is ready.
- Now apply the masala on the fish. Marinate for 1/2 -1 hour. Apply all over the fish and in between cuts.
- Preheat tawa, add oil and fry the marinated fish
- As the fish is big keep in low flame and cook properly.
- Turn both sides gently and cook the fish. The fish is almost cooked. Remove from tawa and keep aside.
- Next let us grind and make a paste for making pollichathu. Add a handfull of shallots.
- Add 10-12 peeled garlic cloves, 2 tomatoes and grind to fine paste. Keep aside
- Onion, garlic and tomato paste is ready.
- In a pan add the oil used to fry the fish or 2 tsp oil.
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Add few curry leaves
- Add shallots and Saute well
- Add prepared onion and tomato paste
- Add a tsp of red chilly powder, Add a tsp of coriander powder, Add 1/4 th tsp turmeric powder, Add 1/4 tsp pepper powder, Add required salt and mix well.
- Let it cook well till oil oozes out do not add water
- Now the gravy is ready
- Now heat the banana leaf so that its easy to fold
- Place the banana leaf, Add the gravy prepared.
- Place the fried fish on it, Again keep the gravy on the top of the fish. Apply all over.
- Place a banana leaf on top
- Cover and wrap the fish gently and tie it. Secure it well as we are going to fry this fish banana leaf wrap in tawa.
- Add coconut oil
- Place on tawa keep in low flame and fry both sides
- After frying both sides for about 10 mins switch off and keep aside
- Meen Pollichathu is ready serve hot
- Spicy and yummy kerala style Meen Pollichathu