Adhirasam a dream recipe for me and my husband. It has been in our recipe list for a quite long time. We was afraid of doing Adhirasam so we have not tried it at all. But this was the first time we are making Adhirasam at home. Usually our parents say it is very difficult and do not try it so years passed by. This was our very first attempt after watching many videos and it came out very well in the first attempt itself. And also we shared many tips and tricks to do a perfect Adhirasam. Please do try this recipe this Diwali and am sure if you follow the steps you will definetly get a very good Adhirasam. Happy Diwali !!!
Adhirasam (Tamil: அதிரசம்) or Kajjaya in Kannada or Ariselu in Telugu or Anarsa in Marathi or arisa pitha in Odia is a type of Indian sweet from Tamil cuisine, Kannada cuisine, Telugu cuisine and Marathi cuisine and Odia cusine. The doughnut-like pastry has a long history of popularity in Kannada, Telugu, Maharashtra, Orissa and Tamil civilization. They are similar in shape to vadai, but are not savoury and are eaten as a dessert.
#Adhirasam,அதிரசம், #Kajjaya,#Ariselu, #Anarsa,#arisapitha, गुड़ के अनरसे ,Gur Anarsa Recipe #Tamilcuisine, #Kannadacuisine, #Telugucuisine , #Marathi cuisine, #Odiacusine
Adhirasam is a popular as an offering to the relatives during Deepavali festival, both at home and in temples in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Place of origin Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Maharashtra,Orissa Region or state Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana Maharashtra, Orissa
Main ingredients Rice flour, jaggery
Raw rice flour : 500 gms
Jaggery : 300 – 320 gms
Water : 1/2 glass
Cardamom powder : 1/2 tsp
Dry ginger powder : 1/4 tsp
Oil for greasing and frying
Preparation The authentic preparation takes about a week or atleast 2 days to prepare the rice flour and we need to ferment the dough.
First the rice is soaked in water and dried in shade and ground into a fine powder and need to sieve well, when the rice is 3/4th dried and retains some moisture at once we need to prepare for adhirasam.
For adding sweet “vellam” (jaggery) is melted in water by boiling and cleaned for any impurities and again boil it till it reaches ‘soft ball’ consistency and note we do not need single string consistency and added to the rice flour along with some powdered cardamom and dry ginger powder to make a thick dough.
make sure the stove is in low flame after adding in the rice flour or even you can switch off after the last rice flour cup is added.
It is then transferred to an earthenware pot or a container and cooled down completely and the top of the pot is closed with a thin white cloth or even add oil on top to prevent drying. you can transfer to an air tight container.
It is then allowed to ferment for about 3–5 days by placing it in the sunlight during the day time but we fermented one day only.
you can also refrigerate and use the adhirasam batter for one week. Finally when the batter is ready for preparation, small balls of the dough is taken and flattened using fingers in a small piece of oil brushed banana leaf and deep fried in oil until golden brown. you can also use butter sheets or any kind of sheets in preparing the adhirasam.
but using banana leaf to flatten gives a nice flavor and taste to the adhirasam or Kajjaya or Ariselu or Anarsa Then it is pressed with a flat bottomed bowl or you can use holed laddle to remove the excess oil. Place in a kitchen cloth or paper to remove excees oil.
After it is cooled down store it in a air tight box and enjoy with your family and friends.
#diwali, #india, #love, #happydiwali, #festival, #diwaligifts, #lights, #indianfestival, #festivaloflights,#diwaliparty, #diwalispecial, #handmade, #festiveseason, #traditional, #festive, #food, #diwalicelebration, #diwalifestival, गुड़ के अनरसे
Adhirasam recipe in Tamil - With tips and tricks
- Raw rice flour : 500 gms
- Jaggery : 300 - 320 gms
- Water : 1/2 glass
- Cardamom powder : 1/2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder : 1/4 tsp
- Oil for greasing and frying
- First the rice is soaked in water and dried in shade and ground into a fine powder and need to sieve well, when the rice is 3/4th dried and retains some moisture at once we need to prepare for adhirasam. Take correct quantities of rice flour and jaggery. 500 gms raw rice, 300 - 320 gms jaggery
- Add jaggery in a vessel to melt and add 1/2 glass water
- Once the jaggery dissolves strain and transfer to another vessel to make syrup consistency
- Mix well to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Add 1/2 tsp cardamom powder, 1/4 th tsp dry ginger powder/sukku
- Heat in low to medium flame and check the consistency again and again as we should not miss the consistency
- It took around 10-12 mins to get the consistency, Now check the consistency again, it has become thick but could not take in hands, boil for few mins
- Now you can able to take the syrup in hands, this is the right consistency
- Now start adding rice flour little by little and mix well
- After adding all the flour combine well
- Always keep in low flame and stir
- It has combined well and do not heat too much
- Switch off at this stage, check consistency
- Immediately transfer to another vessel and cool down.
- Next day take it out and let it comes to room temperature. check the consistency, you will feel little dry apply some ghee and knead a little
- Take a small ball sized dough roll it in your palms
- Apply ghee in the plantain leaf too, you can also use any sheet to make shapes
- Place the ball on the leaf and flatten gently with your palms
- Similarly make other athirasam into shape
- Make medium sized rounds and little thick
- Meanwhile preheat oil in a kadai, after it comes to a proper temperatur keep in medium flame
- And then drop them gently in oil
- Once the dropped adhirasam comes up turn sides and cook, once it turns to gloden color remove
- While removing from oil use 2 laddle, one to take and one to press the excess oil from the adhirasam
- Pressing the adhirasam to remove excess oil is very important
- Once done keep it on a tissue paper to drain excess oil, Do not over cook adhirasam, once it floats up turn sides and once it changes color remove from oil
- Yummy adhirasam is ready now. It will be crispy first later it turns soft when it is room temperature
- After an hour remove the paper, cover the container.
- Yummy adhirasam is ready !!! Try this Diwali !!!