Bhindi masala gravy for chapati or rice. Okra is better known by its common name as lady’s finger or gumbo and popularly called ‘Bhindi‘ in Hindi, ‘Bendakaya‘ in Telugu, ‘Vendakkai‘ in Tamil, ‘Vendakai‘ in Malayalam, ‘Bende‘ in Kannada, ‘Bhinda‘ in Gujarati, ‘Bhendi‘ in Marathi and ‘Dherash‘ in Bengali. This high fiber vegetable is known for its high soluble and insoluble fiber content. This high fiber vegetable is known for its high soluble and insoluble fiber content. This vegetable is usually used in many recipes and is also a part of many nutritional diets as it is highly beneficial. Let us quickly look at the some of the amazing benefits of okra.
Lady’s finger aids in weight loss , controls blood sugar , it helps in any type of heart disease like clots and cholesterol blockage. It also good for anemic people those who have less iron in their blood.
Lady finger is an absolutely essential food for ladies who are trying to conceive. Okra contains folic acid / folate. Folate helps not only in conceiving, but also helps in the development of fetus and prevention of miscarriage. Folate helps in the formation of neural tubes of the fetus.
Tips For Usage:
- Before cooking, thoroughly wash and rinse the whole okra well with water.
- After washing, pat it dry completely, using a dry towel.
- You can then store it in a zip-lock bag and leave it overnight in the fridge before using it the next day. This will make it less slimy while cooking. This will make the okra freeze solid.
- Add okra immediately to your dish after taking it out from the refrigerator. You can use it as a whole or chopped.
- Always trim the ends before adding it to your dish.
- Don’t allow it to thaw to avoid it from sliming out.
Tips For Cooking
- To avoid too much sliming, fry it in oil a little before adding all spices. This reduces the slime to a great extent. Remove okra from the pan and set aside and add it towards the end after you have prepared the rest of the dish.
- Soak it in vinegar or lemon water before using it. Another option is to add lemon or vinegar to the dish itself to cut down the slime.
- Blanch okra for 3-4 minutes to reduce the slime and add to the dish when it is almost cooked. (Source:stylecraze)
Share my recipe