Benefits And Nutritional Values Of Samai / Little Millets
Our generation has forgotten this millet which was feeding us for centuries. Little millets also called as Samai / Shavan / Sama / Swank /Kutki is part of the siru thaniyam (Millets).
Similar to other millets, Samai is gluten free whole grain, which is also a vegan food. Health benefits of Samai is no less than other millets we have seen. In south India this grain is still in use. because of lack of consumer market the millets are fast dying out.
By purely going by the nutritious values samai is far better than rice.
Nutritional Values Of Samai
- Samai is rich in phyto-chemicals and it has excellent antioxidant properties
- Its Dietary fiber protects against hyperglycemia.
- It reduces cholesterol and helps in digestion.
- Has nearly 2.5 times minerals and nearly 38 times fiber and nearly 13 times Iron than Rice.
- Has nearly 6.3 times fiber and nearly 1.8 times Iron than Wheat.
- Has lesser amount of carbohydrates than Wheat and rice and has abundant quantities of Thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is not present in Rice and Wheat.
Benefits Of Samai
- Helps lowers risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduces chances of heart attacks
- Improves digestion
- Protects from breast cancer
- protects childhood asthma
Some of the popular recipes made using samai are
- Samai Ven pongal
- Samai Arisi Adai
- Samai Arisi muruku
- Samai kichadi
- Samai Arisi Idli
- Samai Arisi Biryani